Update While Retaining Settings and Library
I'm currently running WinXP with XBMC version: pre-10.5 r28256 (compiled March 1, 2010)

I'm planning on upgrading to Win7 and will be installing the latest version of XBMC. What's the best way to keep all my settings and library data?

I'm particularly concerned about keeping the skin that I'm using and all it's functionality, because it's a version of Rapier Qualar mod skin that I modified to have custom home screen menu items. Since there seems to have been some major updates since my current version, I'm hoping the skin is still compatible.
Brent212 Wrote:I'm currently running WinXP with XBMC version: pre-10.5 r28256 (compiled March 1, 2010)

I'm planning on upgrading to Win7 and will be installing the latest version of XBMC. What's the best way to keep all my settings and library data?

I'm particularly concerned about keeping the skin that I'm using and all it's functionality, because it's a version of Rapier Qualar mod skin that I modified to have custom home screen menu items. Since there seems to have been some major updates since my current version, I'm hoping the skin is still compatible.

got to %APPDATA%/XBMC
and copy the ENTIRE folder's Contents.

In win7 run XBMC, 1 time then close it out.
Navigate to the directory again.
%APPDATA%/XBMC
Delete the contents
Move the copy that you made from the XP installation into this folder
What about if I'm running XBMC in portable mode, so everything's saved to the program folder? There's a userdata folder in there, but what about the system folder? There's a keymap folder under system, as well as under userdata. And system/Keymap.xml. system/playercorefactory.xml is another file I've modified, I think to add external players.

Then there's obviously the skins folder that I'd want to back up, and I even made a change to the strings.xml file under language/English.

I guess I'm just worried that putting these backed up files into the new installation in the same locations that they were at could cause problems, specifically in cases where a file location has changed in the new version.

Using my old skin seems like it could be the biggest challenge, because isn't there at least one new section in the home screen (add ons?)? Do all skins need to be updated when XBMC is updated?
It's a bit late now, but you shouldn't modify config files that aren't in your profile for exactly the reason you've just run into. The only safe way forward is to copy the files you've modified somewhere, install the new version of XBMC, then recreate your changes by creating/editing config files in your profile.

There's a certain amount of work involved, but the next time you need to upgrade you won't have this problem.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update While Retaining Settings and Library0