Video file format for limited disc space available
Hey folks!
I know this is a topic that has widely been discussed: but to be honest, I couldn't figure out which way was the best for my purpose.
I am working on my new htpc basing on an acer aspire zg5 netbook. As one of several options how to finally choose my hardware I am thinking of only using a 500gb hdd, which can easily be plugged in instead of the 160gb hdd actually installed. As the netbook motherboard has, of course, no other sata-ports, this would be my total disc space available, meaning I do matter about movie file sizes.
I am watching movies on a projector (optoma hd700x), which can only display at a resolution of 1280x720 (hd720p), so storing at a 1080p-format doesn't make any sense to me.
Right now, from my second system, I have some high resolution mkv-container files at 1080p. What would you suggest as the best format to store those files? I prefer easy converting methods, a high resolution, and would appreciate having several audio channels in different languages as I do have now. Is DVD video format a way to go? If so, using anydvd-HD? I think at an average file movie size of 4-5gb it would be fine, but not much more.
Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!
No idea about the movie stuff, but I think you are going the wrong way, sorry. A laptop isn't really the way to go, and reencoding all your movies because of space isues isn't the best neither.

I mean, you'll spend lots of time converting your movies and loosing quality, only to find that you'll run out of space no matter what you do. Not to mention that, when you get 1080p capable stuff, you'll have all your movies in 720p.

And last but not least.. are you sure your netbook will play those files well enough?? What are the specs of the machine?
First, thanks for your input!
Yes I am sure it plays out those files. It's an atom n270 at 1.6ghz and 1gb ram.
I am not a movie junkie. My old system was running an duron 1300mhz and a 250gb hdd only. Not even 100gb were used, but then in divx/xvid formats.
Why I chose the netbook as hardware basis is that I wanted it to be cheap and small. Both requirements are met, so I am fine. The case I want to build on my own and it's also about doing it on my own. Otherwise I could have bought one of those out-of-the-box media centers
At an average size of 4-5gb I could store 100 movies - and this is not what is going to happen. I'll have a bunch of high resolution movies, my favorite ones, and the rest I'll save in divx format, which is fine for a movie I want to see once.
Btw what do you mean saying I have the files in 720p already?! Can't I save disk space in shrinking them?
Gotta say I agree with post 2. It will take a long time to re-encode from 1080p to 720p and the results may not be great if you've already compressed from Blu-ray.

Is a USB external HDD not a possibility? They're so cheap nowadays that it seem like the obvious solution.
Hi, we don't mean to sound not supportive but....

Don't do it. If you value your own time, your electricity, etc. First of all, if you don't have a powerful system, transcoding even a small library to 720p with x264 codec in mkv format (the best file profile for you) will take literally weeks. I can tell your not going to go crazy over the solution, so here's the best possible course of action for you.

1. Get a powered USB hub.
2. Get as many USB hard drives you wish.
3. Add powered USB hubs as needed.
4. Repeat.

Also, double check that your netbook can play 720p. I would get a crystalHD card just to make sure.
Puh you're getting me into trouble Wink but better now than when it's too late. Thanks guys!
So I will indeed first check if my system supports 1080p playout. If not - good question. I will check google for the mentioned crystal HD stuff. What is it exactly?!
Maybe I can find an external USB drive with a small power supply I can more or less integrate into my case. I'm seeing my idea of a small htpc floating away... Any suggestions for such an external hdd case? With a 500gb+2tb solution I will definitely be fine.
The thing furthermore is that I didn't want to spend too much money on that sys. I got the netbook for about 100€, which i hoped would be the main part of the expenses.
Btw: anyone has some experience in how much better the image with my projector will be? It does not support fullhd, but will I nevertheless see a difference? Of course I should recheck on my own anyways.
CrystalHD card is essentially a video card that fits in a mini-pcie slot that many netbooks have. They may replace the wireless card so you would have to add your own wireless usb dongle.

Remember, you are trying to combine a server and player into one. If you want a large library, you will therefore have a large case. A 2TB can hold ~70 uncompressed blu-rays, 125 DVD iso's, etc. Quite a bit of information. If you want an efficient case, you have to pay for it. There are trade offs everywhere, you need to pick what is best for your situation.

Convenience vs Size vs Price

Pick 2

It seems like you are clearly picking price, so you need to decide if you want convenience or size. At your scale, both can be easily managed. I would simply get a 2 HD dock.

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817121049

Also a note about price. These days, the cheapest player can be found for 200 dollars. Storage is around ~ $.06 / GB + a way to hold it (depending if you buy in bulk), whether that be a dock, an enclosure, or a whole NAS (network attached storage). So starting a decent dedicated XBMC setup is easily 300 dollars.

Better than what? We need more detail on your planned setup. Are you thinking that whenever you want to watch a movie, you'll hook up your netbook to your tv? If so, what about surround sound, etc etc. We're happy to help, but we can't without the info!
I started that 'project' as a little mp3-server, which I wanted to use with mpd and control it via my iPhone and mpod. That worked (and still works) fine. Now, after having another small htpc with mythbuntu a lady running for a year now, I came trough xbmc what made me thinking of a combined, updated system for both: a music server and an efficient htpc.
My actual htpc stores files in xvid/divx, so the 250gb give me space enough to store my ~100 movies. But sometimes I wish the resolution was a little bit better watching it with my projector (as mentioned it is an optima hd700x). It doesn't support full 1080p resolution, but as far as google helped me, it should be able to display resolutions up to 720p.
Now, to summarize, k am looking for an optimal way of combining my wishes (better resolution) with my resources Smile as simple as that!
First i still have to check whether my netbook hardware supports HD-play out (there are no pci-slots etc available as it's a netbook! The only way to add hardware is via USB).
What I was now thinkg about is starting with the 500gb hdd I can get for little money, and then adding a wlan-nas sharing the movies. What do you think about that? So I would still have my small htpc in case I only want to play some music, or watch my favorite movies I can store internal. And whenever I want to enjoy a larger movie collection, I turn on my nas storage. Would that work?
Btw sorry for the late response - I've been offline over the weekend. And thanks to all of you, guys.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video file format for limited disc space available0