How do I build a xbt file with texturepacker?
Hi guys, I'm completely new at this and I'm just getting my toes wet in skinning. I've read some threads and I learned I need the 'texturepacker' program to compile all the media files for my skins...

My simple question is, how do I do that? I can't find any command on the texturepacker interface to create the " .xbt file".

Here's what I've done : As my first test I took the Confluence skin and made some changes to it, only visuals, some edited textures on photoshop, changed colors, etc. Simple things. So I understand now I need to build an .xbt out of all those picture files, right? I also learned I needed to download a group of .dll files and put them next to the texturepacker.exe in the texturepacker folder, so I did that.

How do I build the .xbt file? what's the correct way of doing it and am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
You don't have to build the xbt file and for testing/editing/working on the skin, I wouldn't waste your time with it. If you really want to use it, here's a batch file that I use:

Code:
@echo off

START /B /WAIT TexturePacker -dupecheck -input C:\Progra~2\XBMC\addons\skin.neon\media\ -output media\Textures.xbt

echo Textures.xbt build complete - Scroll Up to check for errors.
pause

Obviously change the path to meet your needs...
-stoli-
Hello

Not quite the same topic but related. . . where can I find the texture packer and can I reverse the process to get the images out of a XBT file?

Thanks
anotheruser Wrote:Hello

Not quite the same topic but related. . . where can I find the texture packer and can I reverse the process to get the images out of a XBT file?

Thanks

I don't think it's possible. You should find the source of the skin you want to modify and download it directly. Maybe ask the maker for it.

It is annoying though when you are just trying to mod a skin that there is no index of textures to reference.
Hmm, that's not that great then :/
After spending a couple hours looking for the texturepacker I gave up with that too, so looks like XBMC isn't as open as I thought.
Still alright though - but thanks Big Grin
anotheruser Wrote:Hmm, that's not that great then :/
After spending a couple hours looking for the texturepacker I gave up with that too, so looks like XBMC isn't as open as I thought.

Searching helps, but here's a link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2173829/TexturePacker.zip
-stoli-
anotheruser Wrote:Hmm, that's not that great then :/

heh... well... xbmc is VERY open, and you can find texturepacker pretty easily... I can't remember where it is off the top of my head but I downloaded it a week ago...

But yeah, the xbt files weren't designed as a way of protecting the files from outside use I don't think. I'm sure if someone had a need to, a tool could be designed to extract the files, but there is no need since the source files are around.

Just contact the maker of the skin you want the textures for and I'm 99% sure they would hook you up--seriously, no one around here guards their stuff like that. Also, many skins have their textures freely available on googlecode or wherever they keep their source.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but you don't even need to make xbt files. Just drop the .pngs or whatevers of the textures in the textures directory, and you are good to go. I think it creates a small speed increase to compress them, but I've never had a problem with it.
Ooo, thanks Big Grin I'll take a look and hopefully I'll be able to customise the look a little more to my taste.

And thanks for the link too!
how to unpack Textures.xbt file ?
stolek5 Wrote:how to unpack Textures.xbt file ?

you can't.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
branlr Wrote:...

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but you don't even need to make xbt files. Just drop the .pngs or whatevers of the textures in the textures directory, and you are good to go. I think it creates a small speed increase to compress them, but I've never had a problem with it.

I hope someone can explain this approach. What I am trying to do is to be able to replace certain MPAA rating icon with a different one.

1. So can I create a new icon for R-rated (e.g. mpaa-restricted.jpg) and drop that into the skin media folder and it will be displayed? for example I use Influence skin and the media folder is
...\Application Data\XBMC\addons\skin.influence\media

2. If I create my own new rating icon (and then modify the VideoLibraryView.XML file to display that). Can I follow the same approach? without having to download the texture file and repack it?

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I build a xbt file with texturepacker?0