avi file refuses to play
First off I've tried to play some of my movies since moving them to a new external drive and they're refusing to play. I've been uninstalling a load of unwanted crap off the machine - just leaving the basics of xbmc and xpadder.

I've provided some detail on one file which hopefully will explain the problem in full.

Ok, report details;
1. XBMC revision
xbmc build Dec 17 2010 (SVN:35647, compiler 1500) - at least that what my debug states. It sounds about right as I did a fresh install after Christmas. Running Confluence.
2. Windows 32-bit XP SP3, Machine is a HP SlimLine 3020uk model with changed CPU/GPU... Directx 9.0c.
3. CPU Architecture - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.3Ghz
4. 2.0Gb Ram
5. ATI HD3450 256Mb Card, ATI DVI->HDMI adapter, Driver Catalyst 11.1 (1/26/2011)
6. Sound is through graphics card. Receiving 2.0 fine.
7. Onkyo HT-S3305B 5.1 Home Cinema System into a Samsung LE40C750.
8. As above XBMC 10, SVN:35647
9. Play movie, movie fails to play. XBMC displays failure message.
10. pastebin
11. MediaInfo on file

I've had a look at the Windows Install instructions for XBMC and the FAQ. I have been uninstalling various things from the PC recently and I hope this is the reason why the movies are suddenly not playing. I've installed VLC and the media in question play fine but not in xbmc. I hope someone can give me a pointer.

Playback settings;
Render method is set to auto
Adjust display refresh rate to match video - off
Sync playback to display - off, but tried on too.
Everything else left untouched.
bump, I might do a reinstall of xbmc tonight but would appreciate any expert's view of why my files are refusing to work. I understand that XMBC does not require any external codecs or any other perquisite.
Well this is strange. I change the renderer from Auto Detect to either Software or Pixel Shader [?] and all the files load.

What is jolly strange is that in library view the files take about ten seconds. Switch to file view and the files run instantly. All files are held on local external drives.
Code:
21:16:06 T:280 M:1262346240 * DEBUG: ffmpeg[118]: [mp3] Could not find codec parameters (Audio: mp3, 0 channels, s16)
21:16:06 T:280 M:1262342144 * DEBUG: ffmpeg[118]: [mp3] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
21:16:06 T:280 M:1262923776 WARNING: could not find codec parameters for K:\Movies\No Such Thing\No Such Thing.avi

I am no expert in this and I might have missed something but I think the problem is here! It tries to locate ffmpeg codecs then fails to play because it can't find the specific codecs.

And you are using playercorefactory.xml! Are you using any external players? Try and play without playercorefactory.xml and this might resolve your problem. Then you should know what codecs to install if it's to do with external player.

Cheers,
EG.
No I'm not. It's the first I've heard about. I have installed ffm codecs on the machine but no xbmc configuration to use them. My understanding was that xbmc doesn't use anything external to itself. I'll check that there's no playercorefactory and i'll uninstall the ffd install.
Yes XBMC main player does not use any external codecs and XBMC in general does not need any extra codecs, its all within XBMC. But some people use external players like DSplayer or HTPC player. Thats why I asked if you use any external player.

It might be another problem I'm not sure.

EDIT: here what it says about the "playercorefactory.xml", not sure if its normal though!
Code:
21:15:27 T:1584 M:1565487104  NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://xbmc/system/playercorefactory.xml.
21:15:27 T:1584 M:1565483008  NOTICE: Loaded playercorefactory configuration
21:15:27 T:1584 M:1565474816  NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://masterprofile/playercorefactory.xml.
21:15:27 T:1584 M:1565474816  NOTICE: special://masterprofile/playercorefactory.xml does not exist. Skipping.

Regards,
EG.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
avi file refuses to play0