AppleTV Losing WiFi
This happens constantly and forces me to restore the ATV2 and then rejailbreak it and I'm getting tired of it. Just now I went to access a Network Share and got a error. I closed XBMC and got to the ATV2 Main Menu. Checked the Network and no WiFi. Now before anyone says anything, I can guarantee you it's not my Network. I'm not trying to make myself look like a tech God but believe me when I say I know how to setup a WiFi and it's not the Network. It's the ATV2. Any suggestions?
Rodimus80 Wrote:This happens constantly and forces me to restore the ATV2 and then rejailbreak it and I'm getting tired of it. Just now I went to access a Network Share and got a error. I closed XBMC and got to the ATV2 Main Menu. Checked the Network and no WiFi. Now before anyone says anything, I can guarantee you it's not my Network. I'm not trying to make myself look like a tech God but believe me when I say I know how to setup a WiFi and it's not the Network. It's the ATV2. Any suggestions?
So if you're having to re jailbreak I assume you have to reinstall XBMC every time? Have you tried a hard wired connection to see if the same thing happens?
Rodimus80-

This is a known issue with the current jailbreak, although it only happens to some users. My theory is that it's an issue with the tethered reboot corrupting something, rather than the jailbreak itself. The reason I say this, is that I have an ATV that I jailbroke back in December that worked fine for many reboots up until around Seas0nPass 0.6.8. I had to do a tethered reboot, and used that newer version for the first time to do it. When it came back up, I had no wifi. This has happened to me twice since then. This is a royal pain, as you know, because it requires a full restore, re-jailbreaking, and reinstalling everything.

I'm getting ready to redo that unit, and this time I'm going to do the tethered reboot with the Windows utility, to see if perhaps that will be more stable. Here's a couple of threads on that:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91701

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92886

BTW, at least for me, I still can use hard-wired Ethernet on the unit when it goes into this state, but I don't have an easy way to run a cable down to that particular location, hence, I'm using wifi. I haven't figured out any way to revive wifi without a complete restore though, when that happens, and I've tried a lot of techniques.
Mine does this too. It sees the network and connects to it just fine but if I leave xbmc running it forgets the network after a while.

I find that if I quit back to the AppleTV menu then after a few seconds it will re-establish the network link (no need to re-enter password). After that I can load back into xbmc and everything works.

This doesn't seem to be the issue that ChipsAhoy is talking about. It only loses the network if xbmc is running, the rest of AppleTV maintains a network connection.

I'm using IOS 4.2.1 jailbroken with Seasonpass and tethered boot from OSX/Seasonpass.

I'll try a different sequence of cables and tethered booting and see if it helps.
Yeah, mine acts like there is a Ethernet cable connected even though there isn't. Basically WiFi is disabled because ATV2 thinks there is a cable connected when there is not.
Okay, your issue sounds a bit different to mine.
Dan Gleibitz Wrote:Mine does this too. It sees the network and connects to it just fine but if I leave xbmc running it forgets the network after a while.

I find that if I quit back to the AppleTV menu then after a few seconds it will re-establish the network link (no need to re-enter password). After that I can load back into xbmc and everything works.

This doesn't seem to be the issue that ChipsAhoy is talking about. It only loses the network if xbmc is running, the rest of AppleTV maintains a network connection.

I'm using IOS 4.2.1 jailbroken with Seasonpass and tethered boot from OSX/Seasonpass.

I'll try a different sequence of cables and tethered booting and see if it helps.

I have this exact same issue as well.
MOST of the issues were resolved with the actual seasonpass (0.6.9.(36)) as of 02.01.2011.

If you are experiencing network trouble, rejailbreak and you should be fine.
Thank you Kaiserlein, I'll try that!
Rodimus80 Wrote:Yeah, mine acts like there is a Ethernet cable connected even though there isn't. Basically WiFi is disabled because ATV2 thinks there is a cable connected when there is not.

Had the same problem and nothing worked (restoring, re-jailbreaking, and restoring again several times). Mine went to an Apple service center today for repairs. Problem looks hardware related.
sometimes the jailbreak ipsw is damaged.
Then the thing to do is to set the ATV back to factory settings via itunes (overwrite the jailbreak with the original ipsw) and the redo the whole jailbreak process. My ATV thought the whole time that there wasn't a ethernet cable inserted even though it was.

Redid the whole thing and now it works perfectly.

(What I did was everytime I got an error message (ipsw failed, could not find dfu mode, ...) I started from scratch until it went through without an error.
Kaiserlein Wrote:MOST of the issues were resolved with the actual seasonpass (0.6.9.(36)) as of 02.01.2011.

If you are experiencing network trouble, rejailbreak and you should be fine.

This seems to have fixed it! Thanks again.
Those that have Nito installed, look for the wifi fix in the upgrades section. I have not had a drop ever since enabling it last week. This is a week old fix.
Had the same problem. And i´ve fixed it. When you do a tethered boot, when you are in DFU mode and when it starts booting, plug in the power cable (while the usb cable is still in). Don´t plug your power cable AFTER the boot, because in that case you will not have wifi (in my case)

hope it helps.
Just jb'ed and installed xbmc on (my first ever) apple product. atv Gen2

All worked well until i moved it to another location, and after a tethered boot, i too had problems with not having any connectivity within XBMC.

I was, however connected fine outside (ie the Apple TV interface).

Read a bunch of posts and looked like I had to re-JB and re-install.

BUT - not sure if its a fluke - i SSH'ed into the box and ran a "killall AppleTV" and after it reloaded - i magically had network access in XBMC again.

Thought i post it up - as i tried 1/2 a dozen times to do a tethered JB boot and had the same networking issue each time - before i tried this.

Hopefully it helps someone ;p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV Losing WiFi0