• 2(current)
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday?
(total_ass @ jan. 21 2005,22:02 Wrote:xbmc will live forever on my xbox.

though many here are forgetting that xbmc is limited to the xbox's power. as higher and higher quality is demanded, especially with blu-ray on its way, the xbox will soon become obsolete due to it being incapable of playing these super-high quality media.
well not beeing a very smart at that area. i expect that the drives that will take blueray will be in the same interface protocoll as normal dvd drives(atapi). witch means that we can replace the xbox drive with a blueray drive.
the blueray discs will use several codec that would have to be supported to run.
as from what i see mpg4 is allready supported.but not sure about mpg4 high profile.
maby the xbox 1 dosent even have the cpu to display such

and look
they will also include mpeg-2 support for playback of hdtv recordings and dvds.

Quote:the blu-ray disc association (bda) is still in the process of finalizing the bd-rom specification, but they have stated that mpeg-4 avc high profile (previously called frext) and microsoft's vc-1 video codec (the proposed smpte standard based on wmv9) will be mandatory. they will also include mpeg-2 support for playback of hdtv recordings and dvds. please note that this simply means that all blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of these video codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which video codec(s) they use for their releases. the bda expects the bd-rom specification to be finished some time in the beginning of 2005.
the 360 has security within the silicon of the powerpc cpu itself......do you have millions needed for a custom set of photomasks and the fabrication?

do you really think microsoft will continue to use a symetric cryptopgrahic routine like rs4 used in the 1st gen xbox for the new 360 bios? there wont be any secret keys within the circuitry of the 360 if you ask me. microsoft are usre to use asymetric cryptography at a wild key length for the private key......
hmm so, just so that i can quote you on this later... you don't think the xbox360 will be hacked at all?.

i reckon it will be done inside one month, maximum two.
(anomaly @ may 15 2005,15:39 Wrote:i reckon it will be done inside one month, maximum two.
thats bs. even xbox took about 7 months and i guess ms did a better job this time.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
yeah, and see how long it took for the nintendo gamecube
hopefully the modders can take that experience to the box360 platform
(hullebulle @ may 15 2005,17:55 Wrote:
(anomaly @ may 15 2005,15:39 Wrote:i reckon it will be done inside one month, maximum two.
thats bs. even xbox took about 7 months and i guess ms did a better job this time.
7 months? hmmm ok. i give them six months then. you have to remember that the 360 is being brought to market really quickly and is packed with so much stuff that i really don't think they would have had time to make some revolutionary security features. not as much as some posters imagine anyway.
does these "predictions" have a basis of science behind them?

are you aware how long it would take to brute force an asymmetric crypto scheme like rsa in a 2048 bit key length? the only reason bunnie was able to do what he did was that microsoft used symmetric cryptography in the xbox....the secret key had to hidden within the xbox itself, and it was inside the southbridge. with asymmetric cryptography the public key is just that, public....in fact the $usd200 000 award to be the first to do that still stands so are you feeling lucky?

and the security measures within the silicon of the cpu itself, how many of you have an electron beam gun and other laboratory equipment to alter the hardwired security routines in the silicon?

im not saying its impossible, im saying it will be exceedingly difficult and it will require a massive financial and time commitment.
no, it won't. all the consoles to date have been hacked indirectly. there are still some folk searching for the key used for signing xbox games - and good luck to them - but there is no point.

bunnie's discovery, while impressive, was not the solution to cracking the xbox. he captured info as it moved in and out of the southbridge. his is not the way that later hackers used to successfully hack the xbox, but i'm sure he provided most of the stimulous.

the xbox360 will not be hacked by brute force. it will be hacked via a software flaw and/or the same type of bonehead open door as the xbox's lpc port.

you know, css is a pretty impressive security method - solved not by brute force, but by some dvd producer creating an incorrectly sign dvd. this will be the same.

this is *microsoft* we are talking about. and when people rush, they screw up.
Sad 
(caldor @ may 16 2005,07:45 Wrote:and the security measures within the silicon of the cpu itself, how many of you have an electron beam gun and other laboratory equipment to alter the hardwired security routines in the silicon?
well, team-xecuter, team-xodus, team-smartxx etc. do have access to that (or they will hire someone with the equiment and knowlage) since they got financial gain to win by hacking it first, then there are the 'freelance' hardware-hackers, and electronic-engineers students (with access to university labs) who simple do it for the fun / challange,  ...i give it anything from 6-months to a 18-months after the xbox360 can be bought in stores til someone finds a loophole to exploint and commercialize in the form of a modchip, (i doubt anyone here expects the cryptography of the box to be cracked with brute force).

(murphy @ may 16 2005,01:52 Wrote:i'm glad to see that microsoft is making the next system more of a media center out of the box:
http://www.eurogamer.net/view_sc....opy.jpg
not as impressive as xbmc, but it's still damn better than what the original xbox could do out of the box.
sounded to me like that will require that you own a microsoft media center 2005 pc in order to use those built-in functions.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i mean the system will aready be set up with ftp streaming capabilities, so how long can it possibly be before someone finds the exploit.(a few dozen boxes) i do believe microsoft has taken new measure to secure the integrity of it's new age console, but then again even microsoft's biggest money maker "windows" is exploited (thanks to the employees with balls). i do agree that alot of the features mentioned thus far for the xbox 360 resemble ripped off xbmc and xbmc script ideas you guys have helped bring to life, but that only means the next generation of xbmc will be that much better. hopefully ibm didn't give microsoft it's best chip (pray for vulnerable spots). also let's hope that microsoft doesn't install a security program like it did to stop modded boxes from going onto xbox live. i'd hate to find out microsoft is scanning my new box everytime i even load an i.p. address.

the removable hard drive is the one thing i'm interested in to this point, i've seen a few trailers to the games and they seem so so at this point. i really do hope that they integrate higher graphic definitions for more of their games.

i'm already trying to find a way to get the new box before it comes out in the market as i had my xbox and my ps2 before they hit the market. my xbox 1 was 650 2 months before it dropped my ps2 was 500 2 months before it dropped. it's good to know ppl in shipping :lol: nothings better than things that fall off the back of the truck lol.
since the xbox360 is backwards compatible (http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/...uzanxq.php) won't that make xbmc work with xbox360 as long as one can execute the binary?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
it's oh so fun (but not very creative to speculate).

i predict that since it's powerpc cpu based, after it's been modded, some version of *nix/linux o/s will be ported to xbox360. later maybe support for macosx (a o/s i know absolutely nothing about, except that it started as a *nix port, no?) it just seems like this hardware will be 'the most savvy apple macintosh ever' (bungie must like it, they started on mac, hehe)

since it won't be x86/win32 based, porting our little app will most likely be an enormous task. and it's nothing that will be started by us until the little box been modded, so no need to ask, tia!
in fact, we make no promises whatsoever on an eventual port Smile

running an application like ours in emulated mode is nothing that seems worthwhile imo...

thought for you all though in theroy when the new console appears. the price of the xbox should drop just like th eplaystation di with the ps2. so would be worth getting a few more cheap xbox just for media center purposes around the home.
"yeh but what does it do?" thats the question u ask the midwife when ya missis has givern birth as she hands you the child hehe
to put it another way, what's the point (in the short/medium term) in porting xbmc across? it's already pretty much perfect imho :d and i don't think the new platform would enable many more features than are currently possible/implemented. (i.e. it doesn't have a tv tuner, which is about the only major feature i would want, to turn it into a tivo).

ok, admittedly xbox 1 will eventually become obselete, but meanwhile the price will drop dramatically and the second hand market will be buoyant, making it a very cheap (and awesome!Wink media centre solution.

as far as i'm concerned, the longer it takes for the 360 to be cracked the better for me, as when it does the xbmc developers will likely want to make a new version, and cease development/support of the old one!

the only advantage i can see of xbmc on the 360 is for people who own it for the games to have a decent media player, but since i don't fall in to that category (mine is for xbmc exclusively) i have no plans on getting a 360!
pangit - probably the biggest reason to want xbmc for the 360 is hd content. there isn't much of any today, but that's changing rapidly as we speak. when it's more and more prevalent, you're going to find yourself with hd content that xbmc on the current xbox can't process.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday?3