• 4(current)
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday?
nice.. but i don´t think microsoft will let us play all the formats/filetypes xbmc can play like divx/xvid & ogg/flac.
i don't see why, if they're not producing the product themselves then they can't get too much flack for it, and besides just because divx is often used with copied movies doesn't mean its the only thing that its used for, and on top of that there are plenty of dvd/divx players out there so the format itself can't be too much of a legal minefield.
hi,

lets assume that someday it would be possible to write xbmc for xbox360 and u feel like doing so.
what would u do different when writing most of the app from scratch and how would the increased hardware performence benefit xbmc?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
think thats a little hard to answer without:

a devkit
a modded 360
and last but not least: some time

personally i think ps3 seems more suited hardwarewise (by the little we know about it)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

we probably wouldn't write entire app from scratch.. we would go through code and remove any dependencies on current xbox hardware and add what is needed for the xbox360..

one bigg hurdle i can see is that there would be big problems getting some of our codecs to work as they are dll's compiled for x86 hardware.

thou i'm sceptic that the xbox360 ever will hacked to any similar extent as as current xbox. i agree with pike there, it might actually be better to port to ps3.. for one, it will run linux from the box..

i was read an article on digg that talked about the xbox360 having a possible exploit in the dvd firmware which will allow for the usage of homebrew firmware.

what wasn't clear from this article was whether or not it would allow for unsigned code because utlimately the article was acting as if there is no chance to run unsigned code without modifying hardware but then how would it be possible to even run homebrewed firmware if it wasn't signed?

could someone please enlighten me and the other curious people who know litte to nothing about the 360 nor own an xbox 360.

the article also talked about how microsoft would likely be able to patch it and fix it. this makes me wonder why someone went through all the effort to find an exploit just to submit it to microsoft... who searches around the dvd firmware for buffer overflows to submit them to microsoft's insanely long bug fix process? i guess i just expected that if someone found a flaw they would use it to create homebrew software...

expert input most definitely requested

Smile
nuff said
its a homebrew firmware for the dvd drive only.
it will trick the media check (xbox 360 tests if it is a pressed or burned disk by reading some data from the disk you are not able to copy) by sending the data the 360 expects to get from the dvd even tho its a burned disk without that bit of data.

that means that you are still not able to run any homebrew code cause it isn't signed (which will still be checked).
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
ok that makes a lot more sense. i guess the article did a horrible job of explaining what it was (as do most mainstream articles...). seems like there are very few uses like maybe being able to watch burned dvds or put in burned audio cds but thats about it.
nuff said
Quote:i agree with pike there, it might actually be better to port to ps3.. for one, it will run linux from the box..
is sony going to let you run linux on the ps3?!

(drakethegreat @ mar. 17 2006,12:35 Wrote:ok that makes a lot more sense. i guess the article did a horrible job of explaining what it was (as do most mainstream articles...). seems like there are very few uses like maybe being able to watch burned dvds or put in burned audio cds but thats about it.
it will allow you to play a backup/pirated game as well. the only difference between a game disc and a burned copy of that disc is the 'media flag' on the dvd. the firmware will trick the 360 into thinking the burned media is game media. since the executables on the burned disc are signed (just like the game disc) the 360 will play them.

it might be possible to find an exploit similar to the saved game / font exploits to play homebrew (unsigned) code using this. data files like textures/fonts/movies are still unsigned and can be modified. however the security built into the x360 cpu might prevent this. unlike the x360, in the xbox all the security would just prevent the code from reaching the cpu.
microsoft releases xna development kit
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060320-6420.html

this should be helpful getting xbmc running on the 360. i'm downloading it now.

is there already another sourceforge project developing the codebase to port this over to xna, or are you waiting for xbmc 2.0 to be released before you fork it?

it's only a matter of time before it is cracked, they are getting closer. might as well be prepared right?

simply the ability to play videos from any stream, file, or url without a media center pc would make my 360 so much more useful to me. right now it sits there turned off collecting dust while i wait for ms to release something good for it.
no we will not waste energy on this until 360 is modded, and maybe not even then...

out of curiosity, how much of the code base is really xbox-specific?

all the system information stuff, the fat-x library, the controller keyboard mouse karaoke i/o, the mplayer dll's, the custom rendering shaders, i would guess mplayer itself has asm in some sections?... xpr fonts textures...

im sure i'm missing alot... maybe the network layer? visualizations /screensavers would need to be recompiled...

most of the directx stuff should be the same i would think...
does mplayer have multi-core support?
right now people also have to consider the fact that there are a lot more xboxes out there then xbox 360s. i almost wonder if there is as many hacked xboxes as there are xbox 360s but if that is true probably only for the short term. yet ultimately it just doesn't seem logical to even consider 360 development until its atleast hacked. the xbox 360 costs a lot more and already has media capabilities which seems to suggest that xbmc stick to the xbox since its a cheap alternative to buying the expensive 360.
nuff said
now that the 360 has a firmware hack, is there any chance of seeing a version of xbmc running on it? perhaps even if it ran from a cd or dvd as opposed to the hard drive, that would be nice. it would be interesting if the backwards compatability of the 360 would allow xbmc to run.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday?3