Fixing Dropped FPS Issue - Question
From time to time I've noticed that while watching a video the FPS will go from playing perfectly at ~ 24 FPS to what appears to be about 12 or 15 FPS. Although this issue only lasts for a second or two, it does happen from time to time and is somewhat distracting. All of my videos are my own DVD and Blu-ray rips.

Is there any way to completely fix this so that XBMC plays the video at a "consistently consistent" frame rate?

XBMC 10
Ubuntu 10.10
Latest nVidia drivers (ION)
Toshiba Regza 40"
Pioneer 5080 Kuro
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
Bump
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
Does this happen @ 60Hz too? I had a similar issue with a Shuttle XS35GT @ 24Hz using either OpenELEC or XBMC Live. But i think 60Hz was alright. Could not really fix the 24Hz issue so i returned it.

BTW: Do you experience some frame drops while watching the movie? Press "o" to see.
When I turn on the deinterlacing this happens to me too. When I turn it off it works fine. Maybe this helps for you?
I found this thread, so far it seems to have fixed the problem I was having, at least on my second XBMC 10 HTPC that was connected to only one monitor.

I ran it on my first XBMC 10 HTPC in the HT that is connected to two monitors and it disabled one of my displays, so I'll have to read through the rest of the thread to figure out how to get that issue sorted out.
Sadly I can confirm that that thread will most likely not fix it. There are numerous people that seem to have this strange "slomo" fps drop weirdness going on since XBMC 10, and no matter what judder free playback guide I use, I can not get rid of it, nor did any of the other people that have posted recently about it.

I'm quite sad about this really as I have top notch hardware that is able to play any file flawlessly, and it seems to me the problem is ignored or deemed not important enough to pay attention to.

I'm still hoping that someone will find the problem though so I can finally get rid of this annoying "slomo"/drops/skips problems.
I will do more testing to confirm.

I hope this could be officially addressed in a 10.1 update.
if you know how to compile from source, you might want to try some patches i am working on. it reduced my lost frame rate from approx. 200/hour to 0 (1080i50). this is true at least on my system: zotac 9300-itx, ubuntu 10.10, GT220. i have done some testing on ION II, which showed good results as well.
Are you planning to submit those patches into the XBMC code or discuss with the developers?
FernetMenta Wrote:if you know how to compile from source, you might want to try some patches i am working on. it reduced my lost frame rate from approx. 200/hour to 0 (1080i50). this is true at least on my system: zotac 9300-itx, ubuntu 10.10, GT220. i have done some testing on ION II, which showed good results as well.

What do these patches involve? Or perhaps I should ask, what problem do the patches address that is currently causing these drops?
Of course, I will submit this patches to the xbmc team.

1)
I think there is a synchronization issue between the video thread and the render thread. I was able to resolve this on my system but am really not sure if this would help in general. It might even get worse on other systems, hopefully not, but possible. It is quite difficult to track down timing issues.

2)
Improvements in VDPAU through introduction of vdpau opengl interop and asynchronous processing. It primarily improves performance for interlaced content.
Which video thread? We have several.
Well, the link I posted earlier seems to help, but I do still experience the FPS drop. :/
bobo1on1 Wrote:Which video thread? We have several.

DVDPlayer video thread. I did some changes to FlipPage and Present in RenderManager. I will open a trac ticket with detailed description.
Please do, good fixes are always welcome Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fixing Dropped FPS Issue - Question0