XBMC-PRE-11.0 , NFS speed Issues. ATV-2
Hi everyone , Just tried again with my sources.xml wich have all my source in NFS:// format.
I did a copy of my source.xml to two files I have one source.xml.ftp and another source.nfs so I can jump between the two while testing.
Anyhow

Results are that NFS is very slow compared to ftp , both on Directory listings and also streaming( IT buffers alot)

So setup is this ,
All the same for both test , Same Video file , same network, same ATV2.
Tests are on Ethernet.

ATV2 firmware is = 4.2.2(2203)
Installed from latests http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/atv2
The version of xbmc is = 20110824-2182753 ( 24 Agust )
Sound is stereo over HDMI
Movie is 720p h.264

What I like ppl to look at is the time it takes to start the video on NFS compared to ftp and also the buffering issues which are not existant in ftp.

Here are the logs

http://haffi.is/ftp.txt
http://haffi.is/nfs.txt

and please lets keep this thread to the point. I.e. not start talkin about if my network is no good and so on since this works fine on ftp. There for the network is fine ( p.s. I have Cisco network Equip). For some reasons the NFS is just slower. You can see this by looking at the time on the logs and compareing the two logs. I have two Apple TV 2 boxes same results on both of them, and Also I have a Linux box running ubuntu and Xbmc with Same Xbmc version streaming the same video file from NFS or FTP without problems.

Hope this helps for the Dev team Smile
Interesting....just wanted to note though that for the devs to do anything about it, they'd need to see the whole log from the beginning (because that's where everything gets loaded) rather than just the specific snippets associated with the behaviour you're seeing.

*** EDIT ***: I see haffi has posted the full logs now, thanks.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
I do another test later today and post full logs Smile
haffi ... would you mind testing it with setting up a nfs server on the linux box aswell? Only if you know how to do it ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
The NFS server is on one of my linux boxes Smile , nes.haffi.is is NFS server running Ubuntu 10.04 with NFS server
k - great then Smile ... though i have no clue where to look at ... i stream up to 1080p from a dockstar nas with debian installed (arm1,2ghz 128mb ram) ... and via ethernet both smb and nfs work without hickups ... Sad

but as canadave said ... full debug logs may be better ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Here is the relavant NFS server info .

:/etc# cat exports
/data *(rw,async,insecure,no_subtree_check)
Ok the full logs are now there instead of the snipps. Same file names as first post Smile.

Mempiz one thing that set's my NFS from your is problem the bandwith towards the server.
You see yours is probly locally hosted on the Same Layer 2 network ?

Mine is routed( layer 3) over 20 MB Dedicated physical Fiber line . So I only get max 20 mb per sec, however this movie never hits that high, and If I look at the buffer filling while the movie is playing during NFS it's stream rate does not show the same bandwith as when I use the FTP. So I think its something about the network protocol or how its implimented , how many packetd or Chunks from the movie file is loaded at a time, Something must have changed or is different on the ATV2 , from Windows and Linux network parts.
So to sum up FTP is handling this 20MB line just fine however NFS is not ( and SMB is not either did an old post on that ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96958 ).

However all these protocol work fine running same version of xbmc on an windows box and linux box.
anyone have a clue what cloud be causing this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC-PRE-11.0 , NFS speed Issues. ATV-20