• 2(current)
[AppleTV2]FAQ
So I just ordered my ATV2 and have been doing all of the appropriate research on how to jailbreak and install XBMC. This is my first iOS device. I suppose my question is once i have XBMC installed on my ATV2, do I just "add source" like I would on my windows version when trying to connect to my media? Ive never had to try to connect to my media through a network, as all of my media is on external HDs hooked right up to my computer. Do I have to do anything special to get access to my movies ect. through the network?

Thank you and sorry if this has already been addressed.
mcgehee44 Wrote:So I just ordered my ATV2 and have been doing all of the appropriate research on how to jailbreak and install XBMC. This is my first iOS device. I suppose my question is once i have XBMC installed on my ATV2, do I just "add source" like I would on my windows version when trying to connect to my media? Ive never had to try to connect to my media through a network, as all of my media is on external HDs hooked right up to my computer. Do I have to do anything special to get access to my movies ect. through the network?

Thank you and sorry if this has already been addressed.

Apart from making the shares available on your system with no password protection, yes you just add a source, you can either put the full smb:// path in or use the network browse.
Might be worth while to add this question to the list (how to change weather temp from Fahrenheit to Celsius).

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93791
Hi, Can anybody confirm where the addins should be placed such that you keep them when rebuilding XBMC from night builds ?

Many thanks
______________________________________________________________________________________________
ATV2 4.2.1 - XBOX1's x 3 - HomePlugs x many - QNAP 209II Pro NAS - 120" Sony Projector
Hey,

is it possible to make an backup of xbmc ?
To save the add-ons and settings ?
Untethered jailbreak RC6 from Greenpois0n available now.
sneeks Wrote:Untethered jailbreak RC6 from Greenpois0n available now.

great! already tested on ATV2 ?
AlessandroSS Wrote:great! already tested on ATV2 ?

Yeah working perfectly.
sneeks Wrote:Yeah working perfectly.

Anyone seeing any differences in the atv2 interface after jailbreaking (via greenpois0n rc6)? I haven't and same with one other person... just curious.

I ran greenpois0n over top of seas0npass... seemed to work fine. Boots without tethering but that's the only difference I can see.
what else then booting without tethering should it do ?
It's a jailbreak, the only thing it does is letting you mess with the filesystem.
Kaiserlein Wrote:what else then booting without tethering should it do ?
It's a jailbreak, the only thing it does is letting you mess with the filesystem.

Well since you asked, the greepois0n jb should update your atv2 interface. @nitoTV (twitter) says to not install it over the top of seas0npass: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=722...stcount=26

If you do as they say (restore via iTunes then jb /w gp), your atv2 interface will look like the screen caps at this URL (sounds like it'll avoid issues /w the ramdisk too). http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/how-...c6-on-421/

Not all jailbreaks are created equal... some will make interface changes, some will break stuff, some won't work on atv2, etc... there's a vast world of limitless possibilities out there.
Here's a problem I got solved using old ATV method but for ATV2. Could be helpful for some nix-noobs like myself Smile

If you get warning 1st time using ssh after jb looking like this:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!

you can use this method: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=295306&postcount=8 to get back on track.
floink Wrote:Here's a problem I got solved using old ATV method but for ATV2. Could be helpful for some nix-noobs like myself Smile

If you get warning 1st time using ssh after jb looking like this:

@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!

you can use this method: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=295306&postcount=8 to get back on track.

Good looking out. I ran into this before I found your post but I am more stubborn than most and just tooled around until I fixed it.
Just curious about the resolution discussion. The ATV2 is connected to a 50" Panasonic Plasma. What I'm wondering about is, when ATV2 only outputs 720p, is it still wrong to watch movies in 16:9 (so that they fill out the whole screen) instead of the mode "normal", where I have letterboxes?
Does the picture get stretched horizontally or is it just fine? Couldn't see any differences, when trying it out :O
Senaxx Wrote:Q: My volume control isn't working, not even with a custom remote!
A: Digital output (as all outputs are with the new ATV2) do not carry db information. So the receiving device (receiver, TV, Soundbar...) is the device to amplify the signal with the right volume.

Although this is true - digital outputs do not carry db information, there is nothing stopping software based digital volume control through bit shaping .

Yes it won't work for bitsreamed output as you can't mess with the bits of an encoded stream, but for all audio decoded to PCM volume control should be possible.

There's even an option within XBMC to boost volume when downmixed, (not sure if it works on IOS devices), which would indicate there is some level of digital volume control already in place.

If made functional this would be very beneficial for those that what to use smart devices (ipod touch, iphone, ipad, android handsets etc) to control the whole system (no need for two remotes).
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2]FAQ1