Switch's
I'm looking to begin running Cat-5e throughout my home for future use, including xbmc. Yes, I can do wireless, but a wired connection still gives better performance.

In looking at some 24 and 48 port switches out there. Can you get by with just a 10/100 switch and get quality 720p (or 1080p) video ok?

Or is a gigabyte switch that much better for video quality?

Any recommendation for a good 24 port switch (preferably under a $100 bucks)?
10/100 is perfectly adequate for streaming 1080p video to XBMC. Gigabit is nice if you're ever copying over large files.
If you do not want GigE, the this Netgear 24-port 10/100 switch should work fine. I would simply recommend GigE for file transfer speeds. And it would be a much better investment down the road. You would be less likely to need to replace the GigE switch in 5 years.
ptmuldoon Wrote:I'm looking to begin running Cat-5e throughout my home for future use, including xbmc. Yes, I can do wireless, but a wired connection still gives better performance.

In looking at some 24 and 48 port switches out there. Can you get by with just a 10/100 switch and get quality 720p (or 1080p) video ok?

Or is a gigabyte switch that much better for video quality?

Any recommendation for a good 24 port switch (preferably under a $100 bucks)?

That looks like a really big home with lots of cables. If you are prepared for such an investment, you may as well get a switch that can handle all those connections. A cheap 24 port switch will most likely cripple under load.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need a 24 ports for?
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
I really don't need 24 ports, but probably more than 8 or 12. And if I'm running lines, i'm going to run as much as I can where, I can. I intend to probably put a switch in the basement, along with a patch panel, and than be able to change what is on each line as needed.

I hope to run a minimum of 2 lines to each room. With 2 lines, you can convert and carry HDMI. I may also run to more than 1 wall in room.

And yeah, of course a GigE switch would be preferred, but the price jumps way up fast. And I'm also thinking of getting a POE switch to possibly install a camera or two easier as well.
Honestly, in a project with this a scope as grand as yours (multiple network drops per room, HDMI over ethernet, security cameras) the least of your worries is spending "too much" on a quality GigE switch.

I say go for a 16 or 24 port GigE switch and avoid and hiccups or headaches you may have Nod (I mentioned the 16 port switch because you gave the impression that you would need to get a 12 or 24, but there are 16 port switches)

After investing all of your time to run CAT cable and install network drops, you do not want to experience performance lower than satisfactory. You will be spending more money/time on all of the other components... so you might as well make the switch worth it. This way you will not have to upgrade in the recent future either.

I know this is your choice, but I would go for GigE. No questions asked. Even if you do not use the full bandwidth, at least it is available down the road if you plan to transfer loads of data across your personal LAN.
Just want to report back that you guys sold me on the Gigabit switch. And NewEgg is just oh so great, sending me an email based on my prior searches. I ended up with Dlink-DGS1024D, which seems to have some great reviews on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...17-111-031

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switch's0