Asrock ION 3D Ubuntu HDMI sound
Hello
I have this computer:
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.as...D%20Series

ION 3D 152D

I have no sound in ubuntu or XBMC

Have installed NVIDIA restrected drivers from the ubuntu restreacted drivers in admin.
Alsomixer, set everything to unmute and set hdmi output in sound option in both ubuntu and xbmc

I have installed asrock ion 330(the older model) with sucess earlier, but this new one I cant get to work.

Does this have 2 soundcard, Intel and Nvidia?

Apriciate all help Smile
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=715025&postcount=2
Nvidia Shield
kodi 18.1 RC1
Goga777 Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=715025&postcount=2

Goga777 Wrote:please use custom audiodevice in xbmc audio settings as plughw:x,y where x - number of your card (0 or 1, or 2...), y - number of your device (0-9)

you can find it after

aplay -L
aplay -l

for example -

plughw:0,7
plughw:0,9

Okay I will try this, but this is just for XBMC? Its strange that I do not get sound in ubuntu ether..Confused
Goga777 Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=715025&postcount=2

I have the same problem with my Ion 3D. I've tried all combinations of card and device, but only managed to get the analogue sound output working.

Still no sound on the HDMI interface, neither with pulseaudio nor with xbmc.

Any ideas?
tarby Wrote:I have the same problem with my Ion 3D. I've tried all combinations of card and device, but only managed to get the analogue sound output working.

Still no sound on the HDMI interface, neither with pulseaudio nor with xbmc.

Any ideas?

I got it to work in XBMC with this settings:
plughw:1,7

But in ubuntu desktop i still not have sound Sad
royal66 Wrote:I got it to work in XBMC with this settings:
plughw:1,7

But in ubuntu desktop i still not have sound Sad

Now there is something new here. I've played around a lil' bit with xbmc live and found that without that bl**dy pulseaudio screwing up things in the background it simply works.

No special settings were necessary:
Audio output: HDMI
AC3 capable receiver: off
DTS capable receiver: off
Audio output device: HDA NVidia hdmi
Passthrough output device: iec958

Now I'm gonna try again with a fresh Ubuntu 10.10 install and see whether there is a way to get this working properly, the way it was "meant to be" with pulseaudio.
tarby Wrote:Now there is something new here. I've played around a lil' bit with xbmc live and found that without that bl**dy pulseaudio screwing up things in the background it simply works.

No special settings were necessary:
Audio output: HDMI
AC3 capable receiver: off
DTS capable receiver: off
Audio output device: HDA NVidia hdmi
Passthrough output device: iec958

Now I'm gonna try again with a fresh Ubuntu 10.10 install and see whether there is a way to get this working properly, the way it was "meant to be" with pulseaudio.

Any luck? Ive tried with 10.10 pulseaudio plughw:1,7 and so on. I tried removing pulseaudio altogether but still no sound.

How about optical audio? Is that working for you?
HDMI:
I tried with plughw:1,7 and it worked

More detailed info here:
Audio output:HDMI
Speaker coniguration 2.0
Audio output device Custom
Custom audio device: plughw:1,7

Optical output:
I'v got the optical output to work as well. Set the Audio output to analog (i think because the optical output os on the analog chip) and it will work.
I have not yet tested if I can get DTS to work in this signal.
Lior Wrote:Optical output:
I'v got the optical output to work as well. Set the Audio output to analog (i think because the optical output os on the analog chip) and it will work.
I have not yet tested if I can get DTS to work in this signal.

Hi,
could you specify better here? I'm trying to listen from the optical output, but something is wrong with my configuration, do you have some .asoundrc configured? /etc/asound.conf? On the XBMC part, a part from using analog output, which are the other settings in the page you used?

Looking at the shell, if i issue an alsamixer, I find HDA Intel as default preocessor, with just two controllers, for Master and PCM volume, if I hit F6, and choose the other card it sees, the HDA Nvidia, it just states that "This audio devices doesn't have any control" (sorry for the translation, mine is in italian).
Another strange thing:
Code:
$ aplay -l
**** Lista di PLAYBACK dispositivi hardware ****
scheda 0: Intel [HDA Intel], dispositivo 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
  Sottoperiferiche: 1/1
  Sottoperiferica #0: subdevice #0

aplay just sees one device, I'm used on the other computer I have at home, that it finds three, one for analog, one for digital and the other for hdmi.

thank you for your help.

(XBMCBuntu 10, based on a 10.04 ubuntu, hardware: Asrock ION 3D 152D)
Had the same problem, but it on my ION 330 it was caused bij de audiomixer addon. It muted everything.

Maybe this can help you too: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91828
rvrutten Wrote:Had the same problem, but it on my ION 330 it was caused bij de audiomixer addon. It muted everything.

Maybe this can help you too: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91828

thanks for the answer, but I'm not sure is the same problem, my alsamixer shows volume controls just for the HDA Intel chip, an nothing for the hda Nvidia.. well, sincerly I don't even know if it has to have the HDA Nvidia device, but with my aplay -l it looks like it's missing some devices...
Further investigations:

I managed to hear sound froum analog out, by setting analog as audio out and custom device plughw:0,0 .. any other plughw doesn't work, I tried the 1,7 suggested for hdmi, but xbmc returns a "failed to initialize audio device", tried 0,1 to 0,9 to see if there are other devices recognized on the 0 card, but it always fails, I can just use 0,0, I don't know if this sends audio even to spdif, in this moment I don't have the optical audio speakers at hand, but I think not...
Reading in a previous post that the 0,0 part is to be read as card,device and from the aplay -l I gave in a previous post, I'm starting to think that either my ION 3D is broken, or XBMCBuntu 10.04 has some drivers that can't recognize the HDA hardware.
I've got audio working via HDMI (navigation sounds, flac playback, Dolby Digital and DTS are the ones I have tried so far).

The main problem with Ubuntu 10.04 is that the Alsa version is too old and doesn't support the GT21x hdmi audio yet. You need at least Alsa v1.0.23.

So you will need to install a newer version from backports:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic

After installing reboot.

Next I did the following (source). I'm not sure if this is really necessary, but it didn't hurt either.

Code:
dbset system.hardware.alsa.hdmi.device=7
dbset system.hardware.alsa.hdmi.card=1
Next unmute:

Code:
sudo alsamixer

In Alsamixer press F6 to change sound card to '1 HDA NVidia'. Next select S/PDIF 1 and press 'm' to unmute. Press the escape key to exit Alsamixer and store the settings:

Code:
sudo alsactl store 0

I updated the /etc/asound.conf file:

Code:
pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
        device 7
}

Another reboot.

And finally changed the audio settings in XBMC:

Code: