Opinions on this build, please...
I've been running XBMC on my $1000 laptop for a few months now and it feels like a real waste of equipment, so I'm looking to sell the laptop, buy an ultraportable laptop that I'll actually use AS a laptop, and build a HTPC.

The build below is what I've come up with so far. My goals are:
1. Small, quiet
2. Fast enough that I won't hit any ceiling anytime soon
3. Attractive, matches other A/V equipment in style (minimalist) /color (black)
4. As cheap as possible given the above requirements

I don't need blu-ray (have a PS3), and I don't need a gaming video card. Since I'm primarily using external storage and NAS for my content I don't need a huge HDD, but I feel like SSDs are still too expensive for the performance boost / added quietness.

Case/PSU: Silverstone SG06B Mini ITX Case w/ 300W PSU
Mobo: Zotac 880GITX-A-E Mini ITX AM3 Mobo w/ wifi, USB3.0, HD4250 onboard gpu
CPU: AMD Phenom II 555 BE 3.2GHz
Optical: Samsung Slim SATA DVD±RW
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD
RAM: GeIL 4gb PC8500 DDR3
Etc: AZiO USB Bluetooth Adapter

Grand total: $456.26 shipped

Thoughts?
I like the general build idea. For a $450 budget you can afford many different options. Big Grin

Take a look at my build thread and the components I used. I was able to build everything (after a couple rebates) for $370. This did not include the price of a hard drive... but I am using a 160Gb 2.5" laptop HDD which has been working great for me.

It looks like you are taking the MiniITX route... is there any reason for this besides a smaller form-factor case?! If you would ditch the MiniITX then you could go a slightly different route (MicroATX) and spend less $$ for a more capable system.

For example, in your current build you are using onboard GPU. You also have a $90 dual-core CPU Shocked I would recommend using dedicated graphics (nVidia GT430) and a low-cost dual-core like AMD Athlon X2 (for around $60). A MicroATX motherboard will only cost around $60 as well... but then you would need to choose a different case. There are a ton of great HTPC cases with MicroATX form factor. WinkNod

You can keep the RAM, BT adapter, DVD drive.
bmcclure937 Wrote:I like the general build idea. For a $450 budget you can afford many different options. Big Grin

Take a look at my build thread and the components I used. I was able to build everything (after a couple rebates) for $370. This did not include the price of a hard drive... but I am using a 160Gb 2.5" laptop HDD which has been working great for me.

It looks like you are taking the MiniITX route... is there any reason for this besides a smaller form-factor case?! If you would ditch the MiniITX then you could go a slightly different route (MicroATX) and spend less $$ for a more capable system.

For example, in your current build you are using onboard GPU. You also have a $90 dual-core CPU Shocked I would recommend using dedicated graphics (nVidia GT430) and a low-cost dual-core like AMD Athlon X2 (for around $60). A MicroATX motherboard will only cost around $60 as well... but then you would need to choose a different case. There are a ton of great HTPC cases with MicroATX form factor. WinkNod

You can keep the RAM, BT adapter, DVD drive.

Thanks for the thoughts. Smile

Size is the main reason for going for the Mini ITX build, yes. The Silverstone case there is both super high-quality (I've used one before) and extremely compact, perfect for a bookshelf.

I recently built my mom a desktop that used the Micro ATX format and while I liked it a lot (and it was indeed a lot cheaper) it was a bit too bulky for what I'm looking for. It's possible that there are smaller Micro ATX cases than what I was using (this one) I don't know how much smaller it can really get. It was kind of a pain to fit everything in there and, for instance, the DVD drive covered two of the motherboard's RAM slots. :|

I originally had the X2 255 ($63) in there instead of the Phenom II 555 ($90), but I figured the performance gain for just $27 was pretty significant. I don't really know too much about how Dharma runs on lower-end chips (my laptop has a T9400 C2D @ 2.53ghz)... would the 255 be plenty of muscle for years to come? As for the onboard GPU, I thought I'd read that the HD4250 was plenty for Dharma. Any additional insight/correction on that?

Thanks again!
p.s., got a link to your build thread?
I can't delete my mistake, so good luck with your build
My build is listed in my signature... but the thread I was talking about is here
I vouch also on SilverStone.... I just made my HTPC with the Sugo SG05. Big Grin
deadwolfbones Wrote:Thanks for the thoughts. Smile

Size is the main reason for going for the Mini ITX build, yes. The Silverstone case there is both super high-quality (I've used one before) and extremely compact, perfect for a bookshelf.

I recently built my mom a desktop that used the Micro ATX format and while I liked it a lot (and it was indeed a lot cheaper) it was a bit too bulky for what I'm looking for. It's possible that there are smaller Micro ATX cases than what I was using (this one) I don't know how much smaller it can really get. It was kind of a pain to fit everything in there and, for instance, the DVD drive covered two of the motherboard's RAM slots. :|

I originally had the X2 255 ($63) in there instead of the Phenom II 555 ($90), but I figured the performance gain for just $27 was pretty significant. I don't really know too much about how Dharma runs on lower-end chips (my laptop has a T9400 C2D @ 2.53ghz)... would the 255 be plenty of muscle for years to come? As for the onboard GPU, I thought I'd read that the HD4250 was plenty for Dharma. Any additional insight/correction on that?

Thanks again!

I think you've got it a little backwards: the GPU is the most important piece of the system, followed by the sound card, followed by the hard drive, followed by the rest. For a HTPC that's mainly for playing videos, I would much rather have the cheapest of cheap CPUs - an Atom or a $30 Sempron - and a GT 430 than a good CPU and crappy Intel graphics. If you plan on doing other things with the box, maybe your priorities change.

I also think you're underselling the benefits of an SSD. If you have all your stuff on the NAS and external storage, what are you going to need 500 gigs on the HTPC for? Trade the $50 hard drive for a $50 30 GB SSD.

By the way, I'm running Dharma on the cheapest of cheap Semprons and it runs great. Many, many people here run it on Atoms - probably more than all other kinds of processors combined.
IF your after the mini-ITX form factor, here's what i can suggest you!

[MOBO+CPU+GPU] ZOTAC IONITX-P-E Intel Celeron 1.2GHz Dual-Core ION1 Mini-ITX ($180 + $0)
[CASE+PSU] Apex MI-100 Black mini-ITX 250W ($53 + $0)
[RAM] G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1066Mhz CL7 ($28 + $1)
[SSD] Patriot Torqx 2.5" 32GB SATA-II Read:245MB/s Write:60MB/s ($80 + $0)
[FAN] Scythe Slipstream 120mm 800RPM 40.17CFM 10.70dBA ($13 + $0)
TOTAL: ($355)

You can always change the RAM and SSD to other desired parts if you dont want them Smile
mbetter Wrote:I think you've got it a little backwards: the GPU is the most important piece of the system, followed by the sound card, followed by the hard drive, followed by the rest. For a HTPC that's mainly for playing videos, I would much rather have the cheapest of cheap CPUs - an Atom or a $30 Sempron - and a GT 430 than a good CPU and crappy Intel graphics. If you plan on doing other things with the box, maybe your priorities change.

I also think you're underselling the benefits of an SSD. If you have all your stuff on the NAS and external storage, what are you going to need 500 gigs on the HTPC for? Trade the $50 hard drive for a $50 30 GB SSD.

By the way, I'm running Dharma on the cheapest of cheap Semprons and it runs great. Many, many people here run it on Atoms - probably more than all other kinds of processors combined.

eskro Wrote:IF your after the mini-ITX form factor, here's what i can suggest you!

[MOBO+CPU+GPU] ZOTAC IONITX-P-E Intel Celeron 1.2GHz Dual-Core ION1 Mini-ITX ($180 + $0)
[CASE+PSU] Apex MI-100 Black mini-ITX 250W ($53 + $0)
[RAM] G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1066Mhz CL7 ($28 + $1)
[SSD] Patriot Torqx 2.5" 32GB SATA-II Read:245MB/s Write:60MB/s ($80 + $0)
[FAN] Scythe Slipstream 120mm 800RPM 40.17CFM 10.70dBA ($13 + $0)
TOTAL: ($355)

You can always change the RAM and SSD to other desired parts if you dont want them Smile

Really solid advice from both of you. Thanks!
No problem Smile

And if by anychance you'd consider a micro-ATX build,
find ideas of AMD based custom micro-ATX builds here --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92375
Those are BarBone builds meaning,
only things left to buy is your desired RAM + Hard Drive!

And on the INTEL side,
here's a Full intel based micro-ATX Build --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93068
Ram + Hard Drive included but as always,
You can change the RAM and SSD to other desired parts if you dont want them!

-peace-
Ok, so... after a bit of reconsidering, and staying with the Mini-ITX form factor...

[CASE + PSU] SilverStone SG05B Mini-ITX/DTX w/ 300W 80+ PSU ($94.99 + 0 AR)
[MOBO] ZOTAC LGA 1156 Mini ITX WiFi Intel Motherboard H55ITX-C-E ($109.99 + 0 AR)
[CPU] Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W ($129.99 + 0)
[RAM] G.SKILL NS 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) ($20.99 + $0.99)
[HDD] Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" ($37.99 + 0)
[ETC] AZiO BTD-V201 USB 2.0 Micro Bluetooth Adapter ($19.99 + 0)

Total = $444.90 shipped ($419.90 AR)

...and I'll probably add a discrete video card later (HD 5770 or GT 430, I guess?)
i3-550 is a good CPU but do you plan on gaming with this htpc?

because if not, i think its abit overkill regarding the price your paying...

your paying like $340 for your CASE + CPU + MOBO only!

seems expensive to me...
It might be a bit more expensive than I could otherwise do, but I want this to be a system that will last, and that will not have me running into any performance ceilings any time soon. I might decide I want to do some Lightroom/PS5 work on it, I might want to do light gaming, etc. I'd rather buy too much than too little, if you get my meaning.
If I do go with this setup, what discrete gpu would you recommend getting?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Opinions on this build, please...0