Help with First Build
So i tried out XBMC on my laptop over my Ubuntu 10.04 install. Worked like a charm and loved it once i realized that I'll to manually add some of the DVD's because they weren't named right (The Greatest Game Ever Played= ISO name "TGGEP").

Anyway I wiped another laptop completely clean and tried XBMC live. Once i got past the installation issues (mistakes on my part obviously) I absolutely loved the speed and stuff. Now I'm looking to build me a HTPC to put in the bedroom (Share my house with my sister and brother in law, and i don't trust my bro-in-law to not mess it up).

So i started reading a bunch of threads on here trying to find out the parts to make the best/ideal HTPC for my needs. I'm not worried about the HDD, Case, or RAM (I'm assuming any DDR3 is fine, I had a 2X2GB DRR3 PC12800, latency 8 in mind).

My real problem is getting the right MoBO, CPU, and GPU. From reading around the GeForce GT430 is a safe bet.

My Requirements for the HTPC are:
Be able to rip DVD's to ISO ( I guess i'll have to run XBMC over Ubuntu to be able to rip DVD's unless XBMC can support this)
Connect to TV 1080p is preferred but if price is an issue then 1080i is fine.
Be able to play the sound over the HDMI
Built in Wireless N 300Mbs (preferred not necessary as I have a USB one)
Atleast 1 eSata port (if not on MoBo then a good add on card)
Use the least amount of energy possible while still being able to Rip DVD's

Extras:
Bluetooth built in would be nice but if it costs even $5 more than not worth it since i have like 3 tiny USB bluetooth dongles.
Budget would be $250 but i'll go to $300 if i have to
I'm sorry for this really long post but i'd like to give you all the info so you can give me your best advice.
Hi theone964!
i agree with you, the GT430 card is a safe bet...
will get you many things too!
3D movies, Bitstream HD Audio over HDMI & GPU Hardware Acceleration!

Now i couple of days ago,
i posted a list of different custom builds
for anyone who would like to take the plunge and build their own HTPC..

Now i feel i have to specify,
once you'll check the different builds i'll linked you to,
note that you can at any given time,
swap any parts you dont like or add anything else you need!

Here's the link --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92375

Like i said,
those builds are suggestions..
im not pushing no builds on no one...
its only to show you what can be achieved and at what price...

Now you could have gone the NETTOP route, ZOTACs or SHUTTLEs...
but i fear that they aren't enough powerful for your specific needs,,,
specially since you wanna do some DVD Ripping...
You'd benefit alot by having a stronger CPU and a dedicated GPU card...

Anyways, i just hope it helped you abit...

-peace-
Thanks eskro, I've read many of your posts and i really like what you have to say. I'm sure you must've heard this before but if not here goes: "Thank you for being a part of this community, your a very valuable member."

I actually read the thread you linked to a couple times before.

I notice that the CPU you chose is an AMD X2 3.0GHz Dual Core AM3 65W. Sounds like a fantastic powerful little CPU, my only concern is that 65W...thats a little high. Is there something that you can recommend that uses less power but is still able to rip DVDs. If not i can understand that there is a power:performance trade-off. But since it still is a little more power hungry than i wanted do you know if the ASRock MOBO that you mentioned in all your builds has a timed turn on option?

If ill have to have the 65W CPU I'll end up trying to rig it to turn on like an hour before i come home so that it has enough time to wake up and update itself and program the PC to turn off at like 1am which should be plenty of time for torrent downloads (giving a 1 hour leeway). This means that the PC will only be on for like 5 hours mon-sat and actually viewed maybe like 3 hours. Sunday it'd be one all day since i like to spend Sundays watching any TV shows i might have missed cause i was too tired and some movies.

Also one thing i cant seem to find is what is the power draw for the GPU. Maybe another good question would be what do you think the power draw is on the builds you mentioned in that link, idle, playing a DVD from HD, playing 1080i/p content, and ripping a dvd

Thanks a lot for your reply too eskro
nope, no timed turn on options....

But the builds #4 #5 #6 are using the Antec EarthWatts 380W 80+ Bronze Certified!!

Those are very energy efficient! http://ow.ly/1s1apo

but obviously,
if your after consuming the lowest possible energy in general,
you'd have to go with a NETTOP or something...
but i suspect the ripping to be abit slow...
but still do-able....

but like i said, since you wanna do some DVD Ripping
You'd benefit alot by having a stronger CPU and a dedicated GPU card...

your the boss, its up to you Smile
A few last questions before im done.

1. Will i be able to use the GT430 in the NETTOP's
2. What exactly are the NETTOP's
3. Do you know of any boards with the scheduled turn on feature (i read online that they are pretty standard now)?
4. The only one you havent answered from the original post, will i have to load XBMC from Ubuntu to be able to rip the DVD's. And if so will the NETTOP's be powerful enough to run Firefox (stream videos from places like Wisevid etc) with XMBC minimized.

Once you answer those I'm done....although i had one thought that kept bugging me. Since the unit isnt going to be in the same room as the TV do you think i should just save my cash and buy maybe the GT430 card and plug it into a desktop that i just have laying around...the only reason i haven't is because I'm sure that thing is a power hog (im thinking idle point at around 100w on the min side, not tested it with a kill-a-watt meter yet). It is a Compaq Presario SR1303WM, runs a AMD Sempron 3000+. I upped the memory to 1GB which is the max

This is a link to the Compaq Presario SR1303WM [HTML]http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00280659&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=447312&dest_page=product[/HTML]
Nope, thats exactly why i prefer custom builds

Nettops are basically miniPC's...
Popular models are ZOTAC ZBOX, SHUTTLE and ACER REVO...
Nettops somewhat trade performance in the hands of having a small form factor
and being silent + energy efficient...

Intelligent Energy Saver
the mobo i suggested has this feature!
Also, u could grab this software --> Auto Poweron & Shutdown

im a windows user, so regarding linux, i cant help you, sorry...
but under windows, you can do everything!
Also the GT430 needs a PCI-Express 2.0 x 16 slot...
i dont think your compaq has this,,, i think it has an AGP slot...

I cant decide for you...
but if you think your gonna do CPU intensive jobs, like ripping,
you'll benefit from having a stronger CPU and a dedicated video card...

Nettops like i told you, prioritize the small foot print and form factor,,,
their not meant to be powerful as 'normal' PC's because of that,,,

I just cant decide for you Smile
Quote:I just cant decide for you

Hence the Problem LOL

I think im gonna go with a stronger CPU build, but i'll have to find a mobo with a scheduled turn on feature. Reasons being; If i have to run it under ubuntu i can always do samba shares from it, browsing with firefox will be very easy with no performance base, and finally if i ever outgrow using it for a HTPC i can always rip the parts out (HDD, RAM, GPU, CPU+Mobo) and use them in other things. Shame i already have two desktops that i never turn on though...if only i could find a good use for them..may just end up selling them off though.
just go with your heart Tongue
Ok thanks a million for your help.

So i'm ready to order my parts and i go to newegg to buy the GT430 card.

Except theres like 20 different ones all have the same specs basically besides the OC'ed MSI ones. Is there any real difference in any of them besides the varying costs and the company name?

I already ordered the RAM: OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3SOE1600LV4GK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820227558

Reason it costs $40-10=30 AR for PC3 12800 and a latency of 8. Cheapest (even cheaper than 8500 or 10666), lower latency (8 compared to 9), and figure 12800 is better than 8500 or 10666
theone964 Wrote:So i'm ready to order my parts and i go to newegg to buy the GT430 card.

Except theres like 20 different ones all have the same specs basically besides the OC'ed MSI ones. Is there any real difference in any of them besides the varying costs and the company name?

nope Tongue

just get the best deal or one u like Smile

make sure it'll fit in your case though....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with First Build0