ATV2 & subtitles
Dear group,

first of all, awesome work of the devs to port this over to the ATV2. I ditched my first-gen ATV1 the minute this came out...

I'm struggling with downloading subtitles however... Each time I download a sub, I get the error message "You can't save subtitle to selected destination. Would you like to activate this subtitle temporarily?".

My videos are hosted on an SMB share, and I have understood that there is a read-only issue with SMB shares. So I have changed it to a local folder /var/mobile/Documents/Subtitles, and have even done a chmod 777 on this folder, so I'm sure every user has full access to it, but to no avail...

Also, there seem to be two locations where you can configure subtitle download locations: in the xbmc subtitles addon's settings, and under System -> Video -> Subtitles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched this forums and have not found a solution to this...
kind regards.

PS: I'm running the latest nightly build, and have updated the xbmc subtitles addon to the latest version (which popped up in xbmc)
Same problem here...
Doppler Wrote:Dear group,

first of all, awesome work of the devs to port this over to the ATV2. I ditched my first-gen ATV1 the minute this came out...

I'm struggling with downloading subtitles however... Each time I download a sub, I get the error message "You can't save subtitle to selected destination. Would you like to activate this subtitle temporarily?".

My videos are hosted on an SMB share, and I have understood that there is a read-only issue with SMB shares. So I have changed it to a local folder /var/mobile/Documents/Subtitles, and have even done a chmod 777 on this folder, so I'm sure every user has full access to it, but to no avail...

Also, there seem to be two locations where you can configure subtitle download locations: in the xbmc subtitles addon's settings, and under System -> Video -> Subtitles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched this forums and have not found a solution to this...
kind regards.

PS: I'm running the latest nightly build, and have updated the xbmc subtitles addon to the latest version (which popped up in xbmc)

SMB is read-only. Write access is planned.
deraaij Wrote:SMB is read-only. Write access is planned.

Yes, that's what I was able to figure out on the forums. I've changed my subtitle folder to a local one on the ATV though (as said in the original post), and still no luck...
Doppler Wrote:Yes, that's what I was able to figure out on the forums. I've changed my subtitle folder to a local one on the ATV though (as said in the original post), and still no luck...

Have you checked the xbmc.log when debugging enabled?
deraaij Wrote:Have you checked the xbmc.log when debugging enabled?

Yes, but I don't see too much oddities there... The path to the subtitles folder (/var/mobile/Documents/Subtitles) is picked up correctly, and the only error I'm getting on the subtitles is:

DEBUG: ### [XBMC Subtitles-services.Podnapisi.service] - File Hash [IOError]

Can anyone confirm that he/she has successfully downloaded subs to the ATV2 XBMC yet?

thanks,
kind regards.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I didn't think it was necessary to create a possibly redundant one.

I am also having the same issue on my ATV2, however it doesn't bother me at all as I don't use subtitles much, if ever.

My dad, on the other hand, relies on subtitles and has to manually download them for every show he watches. He has the exact same setup as I do (ATV2, running the lastest official build, streaming content off a windows share) and he does NOT have the same issue. When xbmc downloads a subtitle file it only gives the message that the file was downloaded and extracted, then nothing happens. The subtitle is not present, and the file is nowhere to be found (at least not anywhere I could find it). I even tried to tell xbmc to try and download the subs to smb://hiscomputer to create the problem described by the OP, but to no avail. If anybody can shed any light on what the issue might be I'd appreciate it.
Having the same issue, with the symptoms El Nacho's dad has - says subs has been downladed and extracted, but they are nowhere to be found.
Have set up a local directory on the ATV as well, and configured that directory where applicable.
Hi everybody,

I'm glad to report my issue seems to have resolved itself with the updates. I'm running the latest nightly, and updated the subtitle addon to 2.3.0. This last one had to be done manually, since the previous version failed to update within xbmc. So I deleted the addon folder and uploaded the new version using SFTP and everything works just fine now!

Not sure what exact sequence triggered this fix, or if it just fixed with the latest nightly and subtitles 2.3.0...

kind regards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 & subtitles0