I then found a few more streams, and achieved success in getting them playing in XBMC, so decided to share with you. Hopefully you can also share any live streaming URL's you're using with us.
The Generic Procedure
- Find the stream URL (see below for some links/help on this)
- Create a text file called "whatever.strm" and paste the stream URL (with any extra parameters) into the file (see below for some sample URLs)
- Save the file somewhere where XBMC can see it.
- In XBMC, go to Videos, make sure you are not in Library mode and browse to where your whatever.strm file is.
- Select your stream.
- Enjoy live streaming.
Here are some specific examples. These are the URL's (with paramaters) you'll want to put in your .strm file.
ISS Live Feed:
Al Jazeera English:
rtmp://livestfslivefs.fplive.net/livestfslive-live/ playpath=aljazeera_en_veryhigh?videoId=747084146001&lineUpId=&pubId=665003303001&playerId=751182905001&affiliateId= pageURL=http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/ app=aljazeeraflashlive-live?videoId=747084146001&lineUpId=&pubId=665003303001&playerId=751182905001&affiliateId= swfUrl=http://admin.brightcove.com/viewer/us1.24.04.08.2011-01-14072625/federatedVideoUI/BrightcovePlayer.swf swfVfy=true live=true
France 24 English:
rtmp://stream2.france24.yacast.net/france24_live/en playpath=f24_liveen app=france24_live/en pageURL=http://www.france24.com/en/aef_player_popup/france24_player swfUrl=http://www.france24.com/en/sites/all/modules/maison/aef_player/flash/player.swf live=true
RT.com English (I'm assuming RT stands for Russia Today or something similar?):
rtmp://fms5.visionip.tv/live app=live swfUrl=http://rt.com/s/swf/player5.4.viral.swf pageURL=http://rt.com/on-air/ playpath=RT_3 live=true
HOW-TO Find More Feeds
- Search the internet - http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/f...t?sort=hot has a list of more than a dozen, mostly news channels in various languages. See below for instructions on how to turn an rtmpdump command line into something XBMC recognizes.
- Use various tools to extract stream URLs. I don't know anything about how to do this, so I just search the internets instead. If someone has a great HOW-TO on doing this, please post!
HOW-TO Turn that rtmpdump commandline you found into something XBMC recognizes
Ok, so you've found a great rtmpdump (as in the Reddit link above) that pipes the live stream into mplayer for viewing. That's great, but we're using XBMC. Here is how the rtmpdump command line options correspond to the parameters XBMC expects.
Let's take Al Jazeera as an example:
rtmpdump -v -r rtmp://livestfslivefs.fplive.net/livestfslive-live/ -y "aljazeera_en_veryhigh?videoId=747084146001&lineUpId=&pubId=665003303001&playerId=751182905001&affiliateId=" -W "http://admin.brightcove.com/viewer/us1.24.04.08.2011-01-14072625/federatedVideoUI/BrightcovePlayer.swf -p "http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/ -a "aljazeeraflashlive-live?videoId=747084146001&lineUpId=&pubId=665003303001&playerId=751182905001&affiliateId="
The -r argument is the actual rtmp stream url. You'll copy/paste only this URL into your .strm file first.
The -y argument corresponds to the playpath= parameter XBMC wants.
The -W argument corresponds to the swfUrl= parameter XBMC wants.
The -p argument corresponds to the pageURL= parameter XBMC wants.
The -a argument corresponds to the app= parameter XBMC wants.
The -v argument corresponds to the live=true parameter XBMC wants. If it's a live stream, make sure to include live=true, or it won't work.
And, I don't know if/when/what circumstances it's needed, but you might need to also include "swfVfy=true" in your .strm file.
If anyone else has any more streams to contribute, please do so! Or even links to some rtmpdump command lines, piping into mplayer (or VLC).