Ember is Great, but...
I really like Ember but it doesn't run well on my computer. It took me a while just to get it to install and now it shuts down after 5 minutes of being open. I could make it work for me even though it's a little painful. I'm going to get flogged for this but is there a commercial product out there that does what Ember does? I don't mind spending some money to save myself some time. Don't get me wrong free is great and ember is a stellar product but I want something that I can depend on and for me its not working well.

David
Nope, not as far as I know. And if Ember isn't working then it's something with your computer, as it's working fine (excluding the website going down, etc), for everyone else. I'd work on figuring out what on your computer is causing the problems.
Dude, seriously, perhaps you might consider being a little more constructive seeing as how ember is, like xbmc, a free product which other people have devoted their labours too.

Perhaps you should contribute some bug fixes yourself or if you're unable you might like to make a donation.
hobartgeorge Wrote:Dude, seriously, perhaps you might consider being a little more constructive seeing as how ember is, like xbmc, a free product which other people have devoted their labours too.

Perhaps you should contribute some bug fixes yourself or if you're unable you might like to make a donation.

I had a feeling I would get a response like this... I didnt mean for it to come across as destructive. I did say that Ember was a stellar product, it just isn't working well or me. I don't have time to fix bugs and I need to get this working and move on to another project which is why I am OK with paying for something. The kids and more work than I can handle doesn't leave me with a lot of time for this sort of thing. Not to say that it doesn't work for thousands of others but I would gladly pay for a working version of Ember.

I am trying to install ember on a clean windows 7 32 bit OS. The old installer at google code doesn't work because it cant get some files it needs since the old site is down. The new package at source forge I was able to get installed after finding a blank DB on another thread and replacing mine. But even now ember only runs for a maximum of 5 minutes before it shuts down and reports no error. It may be my computer but it is a brand spanken new OS so I dont know what to try and fix.

I was simply asking if there was a more mature and market tested commercial product that I could purchase and be done with.

As it would happen a friend of mine just suggested Media Companion as a possible alternative. If anyone has used this, I would love to hear their comments. The same friend is also ftp'ing me his copy of Ember that works great for him on win7. I asked for the complete install directory straight from program files because it seems that is what I am getting from source forge, so I am hoping it will work.

David
djonesax Wrote:a friend of mine just suggested Media Companion as a possible alternative. If anyone has used this, I would love to hear their comments.

Once again, I am sure this works for someone and i may be the exception... But it crashed on the second click for me. Ember looks like it has a better UI for sure.
If both crash with you, it may be your computer and not EMM or MC2? Both are running well for me on Win7-32.

Anyhow, to answer your question: nothing commercial out there, which is equally good as EMM. XMM2 is worth a try, XMM3 is supposingly going to be the new benchmark (but may take months until it is out).
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Do you have .NET installed on your computer? It's necessary...
steve1977 Wrote:.... XMM2 is worth a try, XMM3 is supposingly going to be the new benchmark (but may take months until it is out).

Omg, Don't say it is going to be a benchmark, too much presure Tongue I only said it will be way better than xmm2 Big Grin

soundbyte Wrote:Do you have .NET installed on your computer? It's necessary...

If he managed to have ember run for 5 minutes then this can't be the problem.

@djonesax
Here are some other you can look at,
XMM2
Media Companion
My Movies Collection Management
Passion XBMC
yanfoe
plyoung.com - my personal site where I blog about the projects I work on
I love Media Companion. And it's only going to get better as the developer has moved it to an open source model.
steppedup Wrote:I love Media Companion. And it's only going to get better as the developer has moved it to an open source model.

I wanted to try it but it crashed on me after a couple clicks. I am sure it's great though for those that have it working. A friend of mine gave me a zipped copy of ember that he had installed which was taken right from where he installed it. I extracted it, ran it, and everything works perfectly.

So I have a working copy of ember and am pleased with it. I dont know why I couldn't install it, since my machine was freshly installed and patched but hey if someone wants me to test an install of the next version I would be glad to.

David

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ember is Great, but...0