server OS sugestion help
Question 
-- I am getting HTPC ,Windows 7, 600 gig HD, DDR2 ram 2 gigs i believe

-- Now i am contemplateing a sever biuld to go with this HTPC to serve all my content to the HTPC which i will run XBMC on as a sole operating system.

-- Question?-I like linux but dont know about all the comand line stuff. Is there a server OS that addapts well or is supported well by XBMC on a set-up like this?
UnRAID, FreeNAS, FlexRAID, Nexenta Store, Ubuntu... pick your poison. to each his own!
newbie 1 Wrote:-- I am getting HTPC ,Windows 7, 600 gig HD, DDR2 ram 2 gigs i believe

-- Now i am contemplateing a sever biuld to go with this HTPC to serve all my content to the HTPC which i will run XBMC on as a sole operating system.

-- Question?-I like linux but dont know about all the comand line stuff. Is there a server OS that addapts well or is supported well by XBMC on a set-up like this?

If You want to avoid issues and headaches then Win7 htpc with Win7 server is the way to go.

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:If You want to avoid issues and headaches then Win7 htpc with Win7 server is the way to go.

Cheers,
EG.

Sorry, but how does this "avoid the headache"... simply because they are both Microsoft products?!

That advice is terrible. Any of the options I mentioned can work with Windows 7. It all boils down to personal preference.
bmcclure937 Wrote:Sorry, but how does this "avoid the headache"... simply because they are both Microsoft products?!

That advice is terrible. Any of the options I mentioned can work with Windows 7. It all boils down to personal preference.

Did you read and understand what he asked! Obviously not!! He likes Linux but he is not very familiar with it, if so how can he pull anything from your advice. Not doubting his abilities or anything, I just was suggesting a way to setup his server with his Win7 HTPC in the most user-friendly way. "what's wrong with Microsoft products! Anyways, I was not pointing a gun at anyone's head to use windows 7!!?"....

Windows 7 does not require any expert knowledge when setting up network/shares and/or services.

Your attitude does not encourage any peaceful discussion. Did I ever mention that your advice will not work in windows 7, NO. I just think you should keep your thoughts to yourself at this stage because you are clearly not fit to give any advice at all!

Regards,
EG.
Yeah. I am not the one qualified to give any advice... Rolleyes

Just because he said he does not "like all of the command line stuff" does not mean all Linux OSes should be eliminated. There are some great server OSes that are user friendly.

I simply provided a number of options to make him aware of the variety. I am not choosing which is best for him... that is his choice. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
server OS sugestion help0