CrystalHD heat problems
Hello everybody!
I'm building a HTPC running xbmc on linux, and since it's based on a laptop from 2006, I bought a mini pci-e CrystalHD decoder similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0719442586.
Software-wise, it works great. Accelerated 1080p H.264 decoding works without any framedrops even on high bitrates such as 35Mb/s. However there's one problem: my CrystalHD seems to generate very large amounts of heat.

The main decoder chip goes very quickly to high temperatures (too hot to touch), and since the decoder card is meant for laptops and there's no heatsinking, I suppose it's not supposed to warm up like that. Basicly it warms up rather quickly after starting playback and then it crashes the computer. Does anybody else have a similar problem?
I have vague recollection of somebody mentioning on some forum (can't remember which anymore) that heating is a driver problem, but there's been no mentions of crashing.

I have already tried a heatsink with pci-e card dimensions attached to the crystalhd, but it just gives some extra minutes of playback and doesn't really help. I haven't tried it with a fan yet. But I'd rather find a real solution than fix up a cooling system with liquid nitrogen. Big Grin Any suggestions?

- Markus

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CrystalHD heat problems0