Ion for sabnzbd, downloading?
Hi Guys,

I currently have a dedicated machine (P4) that's running sabnzbd (couchpotato, sickbeard) as well as torrents. I also using it to stream some video to other machines on the network.

I want to replace this, as the P4 is power hungry and the machine runs 24/7, but was wondering how the Dual Core Atom compares to a Celeron or even a i3. when it comes to extracting, moving, copying etc.

I'm looking for somethings sub $350, and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited after PatrickVogeli made a clarification.
To clarify, as you seem to have the concepts wrong: ION is the chipset with integrated graphics from NVIDIA, it's not a processor. The ION chipset has to be matched with a CPU, the most popular being the Atom.

So.. if your aim is only running sab, coachpotato and the likes, but not using it as a HTPC, you can get a simple dual core Atom equiped machine / motherboard. The graphic part doesn't really matter.

If you plan on running sab + use the machine as a HTPC, then you'll want a Atom + ION chipset machine or motherboard.

I don't know if I have been clear enought, sorry.
PatrickVogeli Wrote:To clarify, as you seem to have the concepts wrong: ION is the chipset with integrated graphics from NVIDIA, it's not a processor. The ION chipset has to be matched with a CPU, the most popular being the Atom.

So.. if your aim is only running sab, coachpotato and the likes, but not using it as a HTPC, you can get a simple dual core Atom equiped machine / motherboard. The graphic part doesn't really matter.

If you plan on running sab + use the machine as a HTPC, then you'll want a Atom + ION chipset machine or motherboard.

I don't know if I have been clear enought, sorry.

Doh, I knew that seems like I wasn't thinking straight, I should change the question from a Dual Core Atom vs a Celeron or even a i3.

Thanks for clearing that up Smile
So it's an ION/ATOM setup good enough to extract a file (say GrabIT) while watching a movie will it stutter?
I have a ATOM unRaid box running SABnzbd+, CouchPotato, and SickBeard...

The ATOM is more than enough powerful for this task...
18TB unRaid server - SickBeard - CouchPotato - XBMC HTPC (Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 260, Scythe Big Shuriken CPU Cooler, ASUS GeForce GT430, OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD, SilverStone GD05 HTPC case)
leigh_munro Wrote:I have a ATOM unRaid box running SABnzbd+, CouchPotato, and SickBeard...

The ATOM is more than enough powerful for this task...

As mentioned earlier are you able to unrar a file and stream a 1080p mkv without it skipping?
CrashnBrn Wrote:As mentioned earlier are you able to unrar a file and stream a 1080p mkv without it skipping?

No issues here.

Files are generally on seperate HDDs though so that probably helps a bit.

eg, downloading and unraring is done from my (unRaid) cache HDD, movies are played back from one of the storage HDDs.
18TB unRaid server - SickBeard - CouchPotato - XBMC HTPC (Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 260, Scythe Big Shuriken CPU Cooler, ASUS GeForce GT430, OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD, SilverStone GD05 HTPC case)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ion for sabnzbd, downloading?0