[live] will it beeasy to set up?
So, starting from my request here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93127 I have a lot of questions regarding the "easyness" to set up such a box with xbmc.

I'm now used to xbmc for the old xbox, wih works flawlessy with wi-fi 802.11g lan taking all the shares from my pc and the music from daap share (firefly on my pc)

I would like to see also some HD (mostly 720p MKVs rips) but I'm really short on budget, so I was thinking about the configuration you can see on the other tread.

As stated wired lan is not an option, I already have a wi-fi 802.11N router, so I would need the 300gb wi-fi for HD content.
Stating that I'm really not into linux and sudos... is there any specification that works out of the box directly with XBMC Live?

Or should I stick with the ATV2 XBMC that is also cheaper?

720p Output is fine for me (my Panasonic PV60 is only HD-Ready, so 720p is max resolution it can take)

HELp !
XBMClive/ubuntu has improved leaps and bounds - a lot of hardware will work out of the box. But you will still need to do your homework to make sure whatever hardware you buy is linux compatible.

Wireless on Linux can be a pain if your hardware isnt natively supported, especially if you're totally new to linux and running from a command line environment only.

If you want it to just work and aren't prepared for a linux learning curve, even a mild one, ATV2 is probably your best option. Alternatively an nVidia ION solution, which is well supported and has plenty of how-to guides on the forums already.
In my config I'm using a ION based system (ASRock 330ION), but it has no integrated wi-fi, so I should need an external usb wi-fi adapter...

Is there any list of which usb dongles are natively supported?

one more question: which remote to use that works out-of-the-box?
My windows MCE remote works out of the box, configured/mapped under LIRC in Live. As for compatible USB network dongles, you'll have to do so some googling.

I'm not sure how recent this list is.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDo...sSupported

I had a Netgear Wireless-N USB that worked out of the box, but I had trouble with it disconnecting from the Access Point. Restarting networking (or the whole media PC) in linux was needed each time to get it to reconnect... so, nothing is certain. And when I say 'worked out of the box', this still required manual entry into the networking.conf file. At some I'd imagine this sort of setup/control will be integrated into the XBMC setup menu - but it's not there yet.

verci Wrote:In my config I'm using a ION based system (ASRock 330ION), but it has no integrated wi-fi, so I should need an external usb wi-fi adapter...

Is there any list of which usb dongles are natively supported?

one more question: which remote to use that works out-of-the-box?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[live] will it beeasy to set up?0