[ATV2] Menu Responsiveness
I am planning on buying an ATV2 but would like to know from others how well it runs with certain skins like Aeon MQ 2, Alaska, etc? I have the old ATV and am using a stripped down version of Alaska but would love to use the full featured version of all the new skins that are out. Are there any slowdowns at all when navigating or is everything pretty smooth and responsive. This is one major deciding factor for me that will help me make the choice on whether or not to get the new ATV2.
With the official update out now, and on the nightlys, everything is runn quite smooth for me. I have tried both alaska skins, aeon, and all of the built in ones. Looking good. And coming from an original atv myself. Its a VERY welcomed improvement. I have not even tried one of the stripped down skins its been working so well.

I run my data off of a mysql setup, so not sure just how much it has to do with the following - thumb browsing and displaying is much faster as well. Before you'd have to 2-3 seconds after being on a file for the thumbnails to totally catch up, not anymore.

If you're using custom or a big bunch of plugins you may see some issues still.

But at any rate, it runs cooler, takes less power, upgraded functionality on the box itself, and its only $99. You can probably sell your current one for atleast half that online.
I think we need to clarify here. The UI is not smooth, but it is responsive. The UI runs at about 10 to 15 fps, but it responds exactly as you would expect. It would be nice if the UI ran at a higher framerate, but it's more than adequate. So smooth is the wrong term; responsive is the right way to describe it.
boasist Wrote:With the official update out now, and on the nightlys, everything is runn quite smooth for me. I have tried both alaska skins, aeon, and all of the built in ones. Looking good. And coming from an original atv myself. Its a VERY welcomed improvement. I have not even tried one of the stripped down skins its been working so well.

I run my data off of a mysql setup, so not sure just how much it has to do with the following - thumb browsing and displaying is much faster as well. Before you'd have to 2-3 seconds after being on a file for the thumbnails to totally catch up, not anymore.

If you're using custom or a big bunch of plugins you may see some issues still.

But at any rate, it runs cooler, takes less power, upgraded functionality on the box itself, and its only $99. You can probably sell your current one for atleast half that online.

That's what I wanted to hear. Sounds great then. Since I am a big fan of Alaska and Aeon along with all of it's modified variations. As long as these skins are useable without having to strip them down means I'll be satisfied. Can you clarify what you mean about having a mysql setup for your xbmc on your atv2?
Comparing the speed to my ION330HT the GUI is definitely not smooth. It is usable and responsive but has this choppy feel. (it's like when you play game on 15fps compare to 30fps)

Obviously the A4 on ATV2 doesn't have enough grunt to handle GUI smoothly.

Not sure if GUI can be GPU accelerated.
Guys, give it a rest.

The current XBMC GUI code assumes infinite CPU resources, we all know this and that's why on other platforms you see high CPU when sitting at idle on homescreen.

That's also why there was the google summer of code work done under beagleboard (arm) to investigate improving the GUI side. None of this work has made it's way back into trunk.

Anyway, I find it pretty amazing that you can have the GUI response you see AT ALL. There's been some work to improve it but it's not something we are concentrating on at the current time, there are much bigger fish to fry.

So all those playing arm-chair programmer and iOS expert, you can stop it now. You don't fully understand what is going on and why and are just making useless speculation that others will mistake for truth.

EDIT: "arm-chair", ooo, I made a pun Smile
davilla Wrote:Guys, give it a rest.

The current XBMC GUI code assumes infinite CPU resources, we all know this and that's why on other platforms you see high CPU when sitting at idle on homescreen.

That's also why there was the google summer of code work done under beagleboard (arm) to investigate improving the GUI side. None of this work has made it's way back into trunk.

Anyway, I find it pretty amazing that you can have the GUI response you see AT ALL. There's been some work to improve it but it's not something we are concentrating on at the current time, there are much bigger fish to fry.

So all those playing arm-chair programmer and iOS expert, you can stop it now. You don't fully understand what is going on and why and are just making useless speculation that others will mistake for truth.

EDIT: "arm-chair", ooo, I made a pun Smile

Heh, make no mistake, I'm more than happy and pleased with the excellent work and effort you've done. The GUI is perfectly reasonably responsive and I really have no complaint.

I only personally was addressing to smooth being thrown around and it's a bit misleading. I noticed a lot of GUI performance enhancements being mentioned in the daily updates and it sorta threw me off as to thinking I was missing something with the way people were saying it was smooth when it really isn't as far as the framerate, but that is irrelevent as long as its responsive and it is easily.
Isn't the GUI speed more to do with the skin used rather than anything else? I use xTV SAF (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59576) and the gui seems pretty reasonable...perhaps instead of giving the devs grief maybe someone should start a thread on the skin forum with plans to start developing a working iPad, iPhone, ATV2 specific skin that utilises the specific features and issues of the platform.
johnnyvibrant Wrote:..perhaps instead of giving the devs grief maybe someone should start a thread on the skin forum with plans to start developing a working iPad, iPhone, ATV2 specific skin that utilises the specific features and issues of the platform.

I tried to answer the OP question. As I stated before it's perfectly fine, but definitely not smooth.

I for one thought the GUI performance will be smooth from other people experience (new updates indicates that smoothness has improved ) on this forum.

Well I was quite surprised how choppy it was compare to ION330HT.

I don't want to give devs grief, they have done great job, but there are lot of people here that want to buy ATV2 just for XBMC and want to know how is the performance of GUI. So if you are used to smoothness from specked up HTPC than ATV2 is not for you just yet and give devs more time on this.
I just changed to Alaska Revised - running really nice!

Try it yourself, for me it is the best skin for atv2 so far..
akid1 Wrote:I just changed to Alaska Revised - running really nice!

Thnx for the tip. Will try it now!
akid1 Wrote:I just changed to Alaska Revised - running really nice!

Ditto.

This setup is so professional (and 'smooth' in normal use as far as I'm concerned), that friends go "ooooh" when I show them.

xbmc is so far beyond my expectations... I've got nothing but praise for all involved in creating it.
Just my 2 pence... The NIGHT skin.. looks awesome and is nice and smooth Smile
A great idea for a thread is one that lists all the skins in categories of:
working
not working
needs work

Then you put comments on every skin. Bonus points if you make both an ATV2 section and a iOS section, also should test them all with the same build and list the info, so anytime a new build comes out and theres various skin issues they can referred to that thread, also to help the skin devs.
mikef Wrote:Well I was quite surprised how choppy it was compare to ION330HT.

Let's see, ION330HT, that's a dual core 1.6GHz atom with nvidia GPU vs a single core 1.0GHz armv7 with PowerVR GPU. Apples to Oranges comparison.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Menu Responsiveness0