Purchasing a 2nd USB IR MCE Receiver, need opinion
I am looking to purchase a 2nd receiver for my 2nd HTPC and wanted opinions if I should stay with the same HP USB IR Receiver or try another such as the Microsoft USB IR Receiver.

I already have one HP MCE USB IR Receiver and it seems to work well with my Harmony One, 550, and 650 remotes. I haven't used it very long so I really cant comment too much on its reliability or quality though it seems to be a popular unit among fellow XBMC users here.

The HP receiver has a red status/verification LED that lights up when codes are received. There are also 2 ports on the back of the receiver for connecting IR blasters and comes with one. How do these options/features compare with the Microsoft receiver or others out there?
HTPC #1: Acer AX3200-U3600A Slimline PC | Win7 64bit | AMD Phenom X3 | 4gb ram | 320gb hd | Onboard nvidia 8200 w/HDMI out

HTPC #2: HP Slimline S3220n | Win7 64bit | AMD X2 | 2gb ram | 160gb hd | Onboard nvidia 6150se (nforce 430) w/VGA out

Lenovo N5901 Mini Wireless KB | Harmony One & 650
If you have an HP receiver working well I would simply buy another. HP receivers seem more widely available and cheaper on ebay than Microsoft receivers.

I've never played with plugging blasters, extenders etc into the remote so I can't comment on how well they work.

JR
Ok, thanks. I was planning on getting another HP Receiver but wanted to see if there are any differences first, especially the red LED light feedback. Its not a deal breaker but I wonder if the other receivers have this feedback as well. I haven't used mine for very long but would guess the red LED light could get annoying in a very dark environment if you had to adjust something regularly like volume.
HTPC #1: Acer AX3200-U3600A Slimline PC | Win7 64bit | AMD Phenom X3 | 4gb ram | 320gb hd | Onboard nvidia 8200 w/HDMI out

HTPC #2: HP Slimline S3220n | Win7 64bit | AMD X2 | 2gb ram | 160gb hd | Onboard nvidia 6150se (nforce 430) w/VGA out

Mine blinks constantly. I'm not sure if it's from incandescents in the room or what. Honestly, it's got a dark tint in front of it. I can't see it unless I'm looking for it. My TV when 'off' has a red LED that's on that's much brighter.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:Mine blinks constantly. I'm not sure if it's from incandescents in the room or what.

Do you have a plasma TV... if so, I have found that the IR receiver will get interference and blink from the TV. This has not caused issues for me thus far...
I have heard that of the plasma TVs. I have an LCD and a DLP in different rooms and found that the HP receiver seems to just blink periodically on its own with no input from the remotes. I initially thought it was the remote sending signals but then realized that it was the receiver itself. It does this on two different HTPCs (both Windows 7 64bit and 32bit) in different rooms with different TV technologies.

Maybe somebody can comment if other receivers have this same quirk.

boxr0xor Wrote:I have heard that of the plasma TVs. I have an LCD and a DLP in different rooms and found that the HP receiver seems to just blink periodically on its own with no input from the remotes. I initially thought it was the remote sending signals but then realized that it was the receiver itself. It does this on two different HTPCs (both Windows 7 64bit and 32bit) in different rooms with different TV technologies.

Maybe somebody can comment if other receivers have this same quirk.

I do not have the HP receiver but i use the AIM RC6 set and Yes, I realised that it happens occasionally and only occurs though after starting my machine from shutdown, the receiver will start blinking like mad when windows is loading.

It's most likely windows is doing something making the receiver act like that, but usually After startup it will stop blinking. If I cant wait for it then I just unplug and plug the receiver back, which seems as a one way stop the blinking for a long time.

The last time I saw it happen was about two months ago so i do not think there is anything to worry about :-)

Regards,
EG.
why not a usb uirt?

http://www.usbuirt.com/
$58 shipped.
$63 if you want the additional sensor.

RC6 HP MCE receiver is $20 shipped if you don't look hard.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
This is where i get all mine:

http://www.used-pcs.com/ProductCart/pc/v...oduct=3130

(they are brand new)
Most of the IR receivers I've tested seem to blink randomly from time to time. I've always assumed it was Windows doing something.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Purchasing a 2nd USB IR MCE Receiver, need opinion0