• 18(current)
ATV2 and XBMC bufferring
Memphiz Wrote:The problem is. ATV2 is not able to hardware decode xvide mpeg4 (only h.264 is hardware decoded). Your file is something like 720p (with cut off black bars). The ATV2 CPU has not enough power for decoding this in software.

Xvid works on SD resolutions. Thats your problem. Use H.264 encoded videos if they are bigger then SD...

Not sure if I understand this correctly. Are you saying that any divx / xvid file that I have which is 720p will not play properly and ATV2?

I just purchased an ATV2 for use with XBMC, majority of my films, 300 or so are divx format. The thought of breaking out my dvds and starting over just isn't appealing to me.

If the above is true. Is there a fast way of converting my divx files to H.264 without losing any additional quality?
themagicrat Wrote:Not sure if I understand this correctly. Are you saying that any divx / xvid file that I have which is 720p will not play properly and ATV2?

I just purchased an ATV2 for use with XBMC, majority of my films, 300 or so are divx format. The thought of breaking out my dvds and starting over just isn't appealing to me.

If the above is true. Is there a fast way of converting my divx files to H.264 without losing any additional quality?

Yes you are right. But do you have 300 xvid movies with 720p resolution? I doubt it. Xvid is good as long as it has not HD resolution ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Yes you are right. But do you have 300 xvid movies with 720p resolution? I doubt it. Xvid is good as long as it has not HD resolution ...

Hmm. I guess they are not all at 720p. I'll give you an example. My Lord of the Rings DVD (from box set) plays no problem. My copy of Nine (from) DVD does not. Is it possible that Nine was a bigger/better file than Lord of the Rings? Seems strange no?

C
Sorry, one more thing. All of my divx files are from DVD rips from my library. Is it not impossible to have a 720p dvd rip. Don't DVDs max out at 420? If that is the case, is my above concern / problem, not valid?

Thanks again
yep ... maybe interlacing is the problem then ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
By interlacing you are referring to the option on the ATV2, not a process in the encoding of the file. Correct?
themagicrat Wrote:By interlacing you are referring to the option on the ATV2, not a process in the encoding of the file. Correct?

yeah ... some dvds are interlaced and if you have set your atv2 to auto deinterlace it would buffer/stutter on that dvds then because the deinterlacer is to much for the atv2 cpu... (you could test by turning deinterlacing off for beeing sure)
I'm asking myself why the deinterlace option was implemented to the iOS version in the first place? Maybe it would be better to delete it or at least set it to off by default?
Joe-ATV2 Wrote:I'm asking myself why the deinterlace option was implemented to the iOS version in the first place? Maybe it would be better to delete it or at least set it to off by default?

I believe it works for some SD content, and any iOS device with an A5 processor (iPad 2 and iPhone 4S) should be able to handle deinterlacing just fine with the faster processor.

I'm not exactly sure on the details, but I also believe this isn't something that can normally be turned on or off by platform when the build is made. It can probably be set up that way, but work to do so hasn't been implemented.
most people just have the wrong thinking. priorities are as follows:

1. make the plattforms as equal as possible - so have the same options on every plattform - including e.x de interlacing
2. once everything is available - optimize it to get it usable

you can't have step 2 before step 1 ... and for ios you can't even have step 2 for some features ... we don't make it slow by intention guys...
Thanx for your explaination. Ok that makes sense. Didn' t think of the A5 and you are right it works on some low resolution material! Hope you can make it work for DVD content one day. Thanx for all your hard work. Respect, this piece of software is the best Mediacenter available. I think I fell in Love ;-)
First, Dev Team - thank you for an awesome package. I'm still a noob, but learning and loving it.

Second, my apologies if this isn't appropriate to this thread, but I think it's germane to the topic (first post from a first time poster).

Based on digging through this thread, is it pretty much everyone's opinion that ATV2 isn't quite ready (XBMC dev state) or can't (hardware limitations) take over as a full up extender (hate to use Win terms)?

Like several others here, I bought an ATV2 for this purpose. Trickle of power, silent, tiny - seems like a no-brainer compared to the dull roar of an Xbox fan at 2am in the bedroom.

I've been following this and other threads for a few weeks now and have been trying to combat the buffering issues as others have - SMB shares, UPnP shares, wireless, wired, re-rip to other formats, etc. Most of my movie collection is SD and they play well enough to get a thumbs up from my wife, but the main thing this would replace is a cable box so playing recorded content is a must. Unfortunately every DVR-MS file i've tried has severe buffering. The other problem is live TV. I've got about 30 QAM channels from an HDHR set up in the ATV, but the result is a no-go.

I'm not getting rid of the ATV, but I think it's going to have to be just an ATV for a while longer.

Keep up the great work, and please don't let the ATV support die on the vine. I've got my fingers crossed, but realize that the hardware just may not be there...
DesertRat Wrote:First, Dev Team - thank you for an awesome package. I'm still a noob, but learning and loving it.

Second, my apologies if this isn't appropriate to this thread, but I think it's germane to the topic (first post from a first time poster).

Based on digging through this thread, is it pretty much everyone's opinion that ATV2 isn't quite ready (XBMC dev state) or can't (hardware limitations) take over as a full up extender (hate to use Win terms)?

Like several others here, I bought an ATV2 for this purpose. Trickle of power, silent, tiny - seems like a no-brainer compared to the dull roar of an Xbox fan at 2am in the bedroom.

I've been following this and other threads for a few weeks now and have been trying to combat the buffering issues as others have - SMB shares, UPnP shares, wireless, wired, re-rip to other formats, etc. Most of my movie collection is SD and they play well enough to get a thumbs up from my wife, but the main thing this would replace is a cable box so playing recorded content is a must. Unfortunately every DVR-MS file i've tried has severe buffering. The other problem is live TV. I've got about 30 QAM channels from an HDHR set up in the ATV, but the result is a no-go.

I'm not getting rid of the ATV, but I think it's going to have to be just an ATV for a while longer.

Keep up the great work, and please don't let the ATV support die on the vine. I've got my fingers crossed, but realize that the hardware just may not be there...

transcode to h264 and all will play, real h264 not some avi/dvix/xvid abortion.
I started to wonder if my buffering issue might be a samba connection issue between the ATV2 and Windows7. After doing some reasearch, I came across this solution:

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy
Local Policies - Security Options

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
Send LM & NTLM responses

Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
Disable Require 128-bit encryption

Still in the testing phases, but this update on the SMB authentication and using the <statfiles>false</statfiles> entry to speed up directory reads seems to have solved a lot of my performance issues with my library and the ATV2.
kitus_san Wrote:Hello there,

davilla, can you possibly give some more details?

The log file I uploaded is still valid because I haven't modified a thing and playback is still choppy http://pastebin.com/pyFw7tcW

I'm adding the mediainfo output of the other movie that I have with same format:

Code:
General
ID                                       : 0 (0x0)
Complete name                            : 00002.m2ts
Format                                   : BDAV
Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
File size                                : 27.7 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 48mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 36.4 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : 27
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 29.8 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 35.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.599
Stream size                              : 22.6 GiB (82%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio #1
ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : MA / Core
Muxing mode                              : Stream extension
Codec ID                                 : 134
Bit rate                                 : 2 017 Kbps / 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless / Lossy

Audio #2
ID                                       : 4353 (0x1101)
Bit rate                                 : 1 561 Kbps / 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Audio #3
ID                                       : 4354 (0x1102)
Bit rate                                 : 1 558 Kbps / 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R

both files present playback problems.

Regards

Hello guys,

will the new Eden version handle this sort of files without constantly buffering? what do you think?

@davilla, have you by any chance tried the sample I provided with this new Eden?

Thanks a million for your hard work. XBMC is absolutely awesome!!! Smile
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 and XBMC bufferring1