• 6(current)
ATV2 and XBMC bufferring
See now your path is "http://192.168.1.15:8896/resource/50/MEDIA_ITEM/The_Fugitive.MP4" and mine is:

Did you add it by video > add source > upnp devices and pick the ps3server? Because i s a http:// adress

Can you maybe explain how you configured ps3mediaserver and what you did in XBMC?
reverb thats the server listing, I was referring to the individual media listings after you've added it as a media source, so if you bring up the movie information on a media file it should list the path to the movie.

All I did was install PS3 Media Server
* Add folder in PMS under navigation/share settings
* Start XBMC and go to videos
* select add source then select the PS3 Media Server
* Do not use the set content feature after adding the server leave it off for now
* Select PS3 Media Server in videos, you should now see any folders you added
* Bring up the context menu and select set content
* Set it to movies and enable run automated scan

I didn't need to but turning off the transcoders in PS3 Media Server may help, go to the transcoding page and select each transcoding engine then click on the plug icon to disable it.

That should do it, although I did test this on my PC version of XBMC, I dont have access to my ATV2 at the moment so I haven't gotten the chance yet to see if it works with that but I would guess it should.
Starstream Wrote:* Do not use the set content feature after adding the server leave it off for now

That did the trick for me!

For the weird reason the added share in video's is gone after a restart on de iPad. But the scraped movies are in the movies folder and work. So i can scrape via unpn now that is a +. But it is kind of difficult to auto check my library i think if i added new movies in the shared folder.

The share stays @ XBMC at the MAC. This a iOS XBMC bug?
Go into systems and try doing a clean on your library.
After re-encoding some videos into a proper h264 format I have noticed no stuttering or buffering at all through SMB. As stated in the current issues at a glance thread, atv2 does h264 decoding through hardware. All other codecs like divx hd, wmvhd and so on is done through software which can cause slowdown, stuttering and buffering issues. I found that using the Ipad settings on DVD Fab with a few tweaks works awesome for ripping my blu rays! I hope this helps those who can't seem to get their HD files working through the suggestions above.

PS3 media server is great. I used it to stream my hd files to my PS3...but I got an ATV to get away from having to use a media server to stream my movies and take up resources on my computer to do so. Does anyone else feel this way?
GuyDanger Wrote:PS3 media server is great. I used it to stream my hd files to my PS3...but I got an ATV to get away from having to use a media server to stream my movies and take up resources on my computer to do so. Does anyone else feel this way?

PMS has very little impact as it's not transcoding, XBMC is natively playing the media.

Stuttering issues can occur regardless of media particularly over wireless networks which is where UPnP can help.
I've been doing some tests with ATV2 and its connection speed. Looks like via WiFi its able to reach only 65mbps, even its 802.11n. Haven't tried to copy to/from it.

So i wired it, and tried copying from/to it via SSH. I'm only reaching 5.5 MEGABYTES/s, when it should go to around 10 MEGABYTES/s. Can anyone please test/confirm this?

I have it connected to a new Airport Extreme Base Station, so its capable of gigabit, but ATV2 is only FastEthernet 100.

Thanks!
0xsegfault Wrote:I've been doing some tests with ATV2 and its connection speed. Looks like via WiFi its able to reach only 65mbps, even its 802.11n. Haven't tried to copy to/from it.

So i wired it, and tried copying from/to it via SSH. I'm only reaching 5.5 MEGABYTES/s, when it should go to around 10 MEGABYTES/s. Can anyone please test/confirm this?

I have it connected to a new Airport Extreme Base Station, so its capable of gigabit, but ATV2 is only FastEthernet 100.

I don't have a time to JB ATV2 yet, but was successfully playing 1080p M4V (9000Kbps) from iTunes, couple of min ago. So, from MBpro on wifi to ATV on wifi, iTunes library on NAS(wired). APExtreme, 5Ghz N.

So, there is no problem with Wifi on NON JB ATV2, if you're using Apple Extreme or TCapsule. Maybe it's JB related?

EDIT: ...and speed of 5,5 should be sufficient for 1080p.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Can you try to stream this one? I've been using it for tests:

http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

The 1080p one.
0xsegfault Wrote:I've been doing some tests with ATV2 and its connection speed. Looks like via WiFi its able to reach only 65mbps, even its 802.11n. Haven't tried to copy to/from it.

Thanks!

SSH Is slower than standard wifi, as it contains the overhead of a security encryption layer in it's protocol. So the comparison to 802.11N without the SSH layer is not apples-to-apples.
0xsegfault Wrote:Can you try to stream this one? I've been using it for tests:

http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

The 1080p one.

Drops frames on several scenes, but no buffering problems.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Sure, but i do not expect to lose half speed just because of encryption. The main question is: is wired ATV2 capable of achieve 100mbps or near that?

And also, can anyone with *NO* *JB* ATV2 confirm its connected rate as reported by Airport?

iTunes streaming probably do some kind of "caching" on ATV2 itself before playing it. So it can benefit from lower rate scenes and ajust it accordingly.
0xsegfault Wrote:Sure, but i do not expect to lose half speed just because of encryption. The main question is: is wired ATV2 capable of achieve 100mbps or near that?

And also, can anyone with *NO* *JB* ATV2 confirm its connected rate as reported by Airport?

Actually expect to lose 20-40% with SSH (it's better with compression on).

Regarding connected rate, where should I look for that?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

@ 0xsegfault:

the speed over ssh is limited by the cpu of the atv2 ... its not worth benchmarking anything according to speed with an ssh connection.
I've never seen this loss % with SSH transfers. But never worked with limited CPUs like ATV2. Will try some FTP transfers to be sure.

You can see the connected rate when clicking in "Wireless connected clients" or something like that on your Airport.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 and XBMC bufferring1