• 3(current)
ATV2 and XBMC bufferring
AlessandroSS Wrote:Where can i find the procedure to updated to the latest night build? Thanks!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92261
Eliah Wrote:Try the latest nightly, my buffering issues with 720p seems to have stopped after that Wink

I would try that too! Have suspicions that I have with 10.0.5 have more buffers with 720p. Hope the build of user Keith will solve the problem.
Reverb Wrote:I would try that too! Have suspicions that I have with 10.0.5 have more buffers with 720p. Hope the build of user Keith will solve the problem.

I just tried the latest nightly build and I have the same amount of buffering with SMB shares.
roygbiv Wrote:I just tried the latest nightly build and I have the same amount of buffering with SMB shares.

Uhmzz... hope there will be soon a smb fix. Or the option to scraping via uPnP
Have you guys tried hardwiring your connection just to see if its a wireless issue....
Remember that you only can pretty much only get the highest advertised speed of your wireless about 4 inches away from the wireless device... the farther away you get the slower your speed.....
I used to have these issues all the time on my Windows based XBMC... over wireless N i would get stuttering and buffering on any file over about 4-5GB...... I finally was able to wire cat5e behind my tv and now the exact same machine plugged in with GB ethernet has played everything over the network I could throw at it.... the biggest file I have is my Bluray rip of Avatar which is 40GB mkv file (i ripped it with Makemkv)

I've also done some other testing with this machine on slower speeds. I switched the interface down to 100Mb and at this setting it seems like files over 20GB will stutter ever so often. I have also confirmed this with my Asus Oplay which only has 100Mb wired ethernet.. it seems to start stuttering on files over 20GB also. With that being said I would think the AppleTV2 hardwired (100Mb) should be able to play a 20GB H.264 file over the network. I do not own one though so I cannot confirm.
I do hope to get one soon. I think the device would be much nicer in my bedroom than my roku box.
My issue is that I can stream higher bitrate, larger files through frontrow and iTunes just fine. That seems to contradict the wireless bandwidth theory.

I have tested the same file in 720p mkv and then repackaged into m4v with mkvtools so it can stream through iTunes. The mkv through xbmc buffered 3-4 times in the 40 min file length. The m4v through iTunes never buffered, and was fully loaded into the atv before it was even half over.

Mkv tools does not reencode, so the bitrate didnt change. Only the container.
chad473 Wrote:My issue is that I can stream higher bitrate, larger files through frontrow and iTunes just fine. That seems to contradict the wireless bandwidth theory.

Exactly, if I use UPnP I can stream 1080p .mkvs on the ATV2 with no buffering.

Also, if I use XBMC on my laptop, I can stream the same 1080p .mkvs via SMB with no buffering.

Something is up with the SMB protocol on XBMC ATV2.
My atv2 is hard wired to my router. I have 2 Buffalo nas drives. Both connected using SMB.

I'm having problems with xvid 720p movies. 720 h.264, 1080 h264 and 480 xvid films work fine.

720p xvid are playing perfectly fine over wireless on my Macbook Pro using SMB with VLC (not tried xbmc yet)! but trying to play on the ATV2 via wired they buffer every few seconds.

I tried connecting via uPNP and it was a little better...perhaps buffering every 8 seconds instead of 2.

...but I can stream 1080p & 720 h.264 with DTS5.1 sound track without any problems at all. So perhaps a bug with 720p xvid?
yep, I'm pretty certain it's that combination of 720 and xvid. I've got a number of files formatted in that way and it does it on all of them...but none of the h264.

Where do I need to go to log a bug?
jusnogood Wrote:yep, I'm pretty certain it's that combination of 720 and xvid. I've got a number of files formatted in that way and it does it on all of them...but none of the h264.

Where do I need to go to log a bug?

From the current issues sticky:

"Hardware decoding is for h264 only. As a result, 720p XviD, WMV and other HD encodings stutter. Standard definition should work fine."
roygbiv Wrote:From the current issues sticky:

"Hardware decoding is for h264 only. As a result, 720p XviD, WMV and other HD encodings stutter. Standard definition should work fine."

Big Grin ah that'll explain it then I missed that...thanks for pointing it out.
roygbiv Wrote:From the current issues sticky:

Does this mean the ATV2 will always be limited to h264 and XBMC will never work with 720 xdivs / wmvs without the stutter ?

Or can the devs code round this hardware limitation ?
eff_cee Wrote:Does this mean the ATV2 will always be limited to h264 and XBMC will never work with 720 xdivs / wmvs without the stutter ?

Or can the devs code round this hardware limitation ?

While that's something the devs can answer better then I, it's my understanding that one of the main reasons XBMC came to fruition is the discovery of Apple's VideoToolBox API that handles decoding of h.264 at the hardware level. All other decoding is handled in software and the A4 just isn't that fast.

I don't know how difficult or possible it is for other codecs to be decoded at a hardware level on the A4 chip.
I am having issues with H.264 encoded files at 720p. This is on a wired gigabit connection. These same files play fine using the iTunes streaming method, wdtv live, PS3, and PC running XBMC. I know I have way too many ways to stream, girlfriend wonders what the Apple TV is for?

I am not familiar with ssh, unfortunately I never took the time to learn how to do it. Can anyone confirm that the nightly builds are working any better than the official release of 2/6/2011?
Edited for clarification:
XBMC currently (2/14/11 build) cannot play 720p h.264 or xvid files (over 8 GB) on wired gigabit (or wireless g). Also, any 5.1 audio will make a very loud popping noise before starting the stream.

At this stage, the XBMC on the ATV2 is a std def only program (AS FAR AS HIGH DEF MOVIES MOVIES ARE CONCERNED). I'd recommend returning the ATV2 until the devs can optimize the program. It's still very early in the ATV2 development.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 and XBMC bufferring1