Forum Skin Sub-Categories
Not an XBMC suggestion, but rather a forum suggestion:

Can popular mods of skins have their own sub-category, rather than just getting a sticky? Aeon Showmix (which is now defunct) has over 3600 posts, and the currently active Aeon MQ-2 has over 1700. That is way to much for one thread, thus tons of repeat posts end up occurring by people who don't have time to read the entire thread, and sometimes searches don't produce a solution.

The Aeon Showmix thread got so out of hand, the creators tried to move the discussion to their own web site, which didn't end up being helpful at all.
Win10x64 Pro. Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.26GHz on Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L. 4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM. Nvidia GT240 512MB PCIx16. Multiple displays, including Sony VPL-XW5000ES 4k projector + 100" Da-Lite Cinema screen.
i agree with curtis-r 100%!!

like the AEON MQ2 skin thread, its getting out of hands
and im sure its giving a hard time to the Skinner, MarcosQui,
to monitor all bug reports and suggestions...

Please do something, thanks Smile
While we are at it, addons should be treated the same. Look at the Advanced Launcher thread. Its well over 100 pages. Icefilms and Bluecop's repo are the same way. I'm always seeing duplicate posts and its rather annoying.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Make it happen, mods!
I'm also agree with this. The Advanced Launcher thread is now too long. People do not read it entirely and most of the time ask question that have already replies several days before. I have try to solve this by creating external wiki pages concerning the installation/configuration of Advanced Launcher and started application and post more simple an short explanation on the first post of the thread. But those solution cannot replace direct question/reply interaction with the users.

Actually I see 2 possibles solutions :
  • create an external board for Advanced Launcher, but I'm not sure that multiplying XBMC related information sources will help the community.
  • create sub-category forums for more active skins and add-ons (with more than 1000 posts for example).
I prefer, from far, the second solution, but if it is not possible, when I will become tired to reply to questions that have been already replied 10 times before, I will go with my proper board.

So please admins, help developers and users, by creating sub-category forums for more active add-ons and new skins.
What is the threshold for making a thread a sticky? Sticky's are often, but not always, the same threads that should have sub-folders.
Win10x64 Pro. Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.26GHz on Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L. 4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM. Nvidia GT240 512MB PCIx16. Multiple displays, including Sony VPL-XW5000ES 4k projector + 100" Da-Lite Cinema screen.
curtis-r Wrote:What is the threshold for making a thread a sticky? Sticky's are often, but not always, the same threads that should have sub-folders.
No "sticky" is just sticking a thread of the top of the other threads of a same forum. It do not change how the thread is displayed or linked to sub-folder functionality. Only admins can decide to stick or unstick a thread. But this will not solve the problem. Oo
Angelscry Wrote:No "sticky" is just sticking a thread of the top of the other threads of a same forum. It do not change how the thread is displayed or linked to sub-folder functionality.

You misunderstood. Clearly, as the person who started this thread, I am only asking what is the criteria for when a thread becomes "sticky" b/c those are often, but not always, the same threads that need sub-folders.
Making Sub-Forums could be also negative for several topics because they are then hiding on a deeper level.
Especially new users are not clicking through those sub-categories, which could loose some clicks.

On the one hand I wouldn't see this as an intuitive option for skins,
but on the other hand this could be good for really special stuff like the above mentioned advanced launcher.

For skins, stickys are a nice way to go..

Cheers
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
ubuntuf4n Wrote:Making Sub-Forums could be also negative for several topics because they are then hiding on a deeper level.

cant be more negative then it already is!!

Imaging the rough time MarcosQui is having at this present time!!

He needs to answer BUGS / SUGGESTIONS / TROUBLE SHOOT

using a SIngle thread with almost 3000 posts made up to this day!!

isnt that Negative enoughHuh

Im all for making this process as easy as possible on MarcosQui!!!

Come on, we have to realize how much time is putting into this
and how much hard it is!!

We have to find a way to help him!!

peace Smile
I would definitely appreciate the addition of subforums per mod (skins, addons, supplemental tools). This would make things much easier for everyone. You can assign the creator of the said mod to be a moderator for that one forum. It might take some time for the forum administrator to add additional categories, but it will be well received by all.
It would be a big improvement, when is a mod of a skin a new skin, .... like aeon mq there is a lot of new functionalities, so maybe
For popular skin-mods/addons, I think sub-forums are the way to go. When you have a thread with over 2000 replies, and spans hundreds of pages, it is incredibly difficult to keep multiple conversations going without redundancy, losing track, and so on. It is very cluttered and more of a hassle than a help, at the moment.
eskro Wrote:...
He needs to answer BUGS / SUGGESTIONS / TROUBLE SHOOT

using a SIngle thread with almost 3000 posts made up to this day!!

Good Point. Smile
Cheers
ubuntuf4n

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Forum Skin Sub-Categories0