What's a good GPU for XBMC?
Hi,

I'm currently running the integrated i3 Clarkdale graphics with Win 7 64 and XBMC in my HTPC. It works OK but have minor glitches such as the 24p bug and not enough power to use DXVA to any good.

Would love smooth playback without struggle, artifacts, inserted frames or skipped frames. I might get a separate GPU card in the max $100 pricerange but do not know which way to go, ATI/NVidia and which one of them.

Is there such a thing as a passively cooled GPU card without 24p bug or other disturbances that work well with XBMC and other HD movie apps?
It should fit in a PCI express 16 slot and not require more than a 400W PSU.

Thank's in advance
If you were running linux i would say get a geforce 210..... but since you are running windows you can go with nvidia or ATI. (The geforce 210 would work good in windows also).
I personally have a Radeon HD5450 in my windows HTPC, it was $40 bucks works great.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0345501

I have a Geforce 210 in my linux HTPC and it works great too! I do know that you want to stay away from the Radeon cards if you are running linux and xbmc. But with windows you use Direct X so it don't matter
The NVIDIA 210 and 9400GT are both available in passively cooled form and both work well with XBMC on Windows (and indeed Linux). Expect to pay around £20-30 ($30-45) on eBay.

JR
You can snag the GT430 for around $55 (3D support, audio over HDMI, etc)...
I just (last night) ordered a passive 210 based on recommendations. It's on sale at newegg for $20 after rebate, so pretty affordable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
Thank's for the feedback!

I did my XBMC homework a bit better yesterday and discovered I had missed to check the button that makes XBMC set the update frequency on the TV. Now all is much better with the current graphics so I will live with it and be happy for now. If I shold discover more problems I know I can get either ATI or NVidia in a moderate pricerange and it will work.

Thank's again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's a good GPU for XBMC?1