Regular .avi files are freezing/crashing the ATV2
Hi all,

Am running latest official XBMC for iOS (ie, 6th Feb build). Several times, and twice tonight, the ATV2 has completely frozen up while playing back a perfectly normal .avi file. The light flashes to show it's seeing me mash the buttons on the Apple remote, but only holding Down and Menu has any effect, and the ATV2 never gets past the Apple logo, forcing a tethered reboot.

Here's the Format info from Quicktime's movie inspector for both the files it crashed on:

Generic MPEG-4, 624 x 352, Millions
MPEG Layer 3, Stereo, 48.000 kHz

So it's not AC3, it's not 720p...

My ATV2 is running on wifi, reading files that are stored on Lacie Quadra drives FW'd to my iMac, which is ethernet'd to my router. The sharing setup is using SMB. I'd say in the last couple of weeks since installing the first build
it's happened 3 or 4 times, playing shows for several hours nightly so it's not frequent but as it forces a tethered boot it's a pain!

Any advice?

PS With version 2 I thought I'd read that the problem with the ATV2 dropping the wifi connection if you left it running XBMC overnight, say, had been fixed? I'm on v2 as mentioned and I get this problem still. If I quit out of XBMC the network connection magically restores after a few seconds and I can reload XBMC. However, if XBMC was not running when I leave the box overnight, the next day I am again not on wifi, but it doesn't reload itself on wake. Instead I need to re-enter the password. Odd.
owen-b Wrote:PS With version 2 I thought I'd read that the problem with the ATV2 dropping the wifi connection if you left it running XBMC overnight, say, had been fixed? I'm on v2 as mentioned and I get this problem still.

That's an issue with the jailbreak, not with xbmc. I had the same, re-did my jailbreak with SeasonPass 0.6.9, and xbmc has been running for >100hrs without falling off the network once.
Sadly i used the 0.6.9 version of seas0npass when i recently had to restore to 4.2.1 and then rejailbreak after my xbmc crashed earlier this week and wouldn't even reboot tethered. It hasn't made the slightest bit of difference to this wifi bug. Im starting to think it's causing these XBMC crashes as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Regular .avi files are freezing/crashing the ATV20