Bitrate Limit for ATV2 / XBMC?
I just purchased an Apple TV 2 to replace my returned Boxee. I am loving the Netflix and Podcast stuff and I am patiently waiting for the release of Greenpois0n RC6 so I can untethered jailbreak and install XBMC.

My question is what I can and cannot play with the ATV2 hardware? I have a huge library that goes all the way from low bitrate 480p DVD rips to 12mbps 1080p BluRay rips, what is the limit on what the ATV2 will be able to decode smoothly? I realize it will not be outputting 1080p which is fine with me, my question is how high a bitrate can it handle? I dont generally store full 30gb BluRay rips, I am usually fine with a 4-8gb rip with a lower bitrate @ 1080p.

Thanks in advance.

Side question, can I add on from 3rd party repos (like the Bluecop Hulu plugin and the Icefilms plugin)??
I would also like to know this information definitively. I have seen similar posts like this with responses that it has been covered before but I can't find it. I have done searches for all kinds of criteria and came up empty with a definitive answer.

Hopefully Davilla can respond and then this data get put in the wiki.
The problem with defining limits is that files can be encoded so many different ways that it gets very complex.

It would be better to start a thread using MediaInfo details of problem files. This way we could find the common problems, and perhaps get them fixed.

For instance, I was trying to watch 1080p Toy Story 3 last night and had constant buffering every 30-50 seconds.
Every 1080p 7-12GB file I have tried has played fine as long as it doesn't have HD audio.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bitrate Limit for ATV2 / XBMC?0