Cheap and little 1080P box
Why did you get such a good CPU? Any AMD would have worked fine, and then I would have grabbed a $20 video card to throw in there. You could have went a little cheaper with the motherboard, but yours is fine.

Your hard drive is way to expensive for simply storing the OS, could have saved a bunch there.

And XBMCbuntu should do fine, I use it on 2 PCs myself. MySQL can be fun to set up though... Make sure you run the mysql server on your fileserver, or shit happens.
AMD doesn't work with XBMCbuntu. $20 dollar video card? That will work better than HD4000? I doubt it. Also as far as Hard Drives, you can't really go very cheap anymore, most places won't sell a drive for less than $50 or $60 dollars.

Again though, I have heard very very bad things about AMD and XBMCbuntu working together.

As soon as I build a 2nd system I'll be working on the MySQL stuff.
(2012-11-17, 01:24)MorituriMax Wrote: And from Amazon.com
$19.99 New Edition HP OEM Window Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Windows7 Vista XP Home Premium and Ultimate Edition

i would highly recomend (Rosewill RRC-126 Windows Vista/Window7 MCE/Windows 8 MCE Infrared Remote Control with Netflix Function) http://Rosewill RRC-126 Windows Vista/Wi...th Netflix Its on sale now for $12 but the dongle on this thing is amazing there is a thread on here which explains how to program it. i use it with a harmony remote and it wakes my htpc from total sleep excelent and i could not recomend it more
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
Im really thinking about this build and as im based in the UK the prices reflect differently and am looking for the cheapest options. I was wondering if i could use EVGA Nvidia GTX550Ti 1GB 192-Bit 3D Ready Graphics Card in this build ok?

Im still on a steep learning curve and just need some advice.

p.s the reason for that Graphics card is so i can get 3d on my optoma HD600-LV projector without having to buy a £300+ adapter

Thanks
Hi!
I'm familiar with putting all this together but it's my first time building an actual HTPC machine.
I really like the sound of this build... I'm just wondering if this still holds up well April '13?
Some of the parts are marked discontinued on Newegg but Amazon seems to have a source for most.

Just checking is all before placing my order

I'm going to add a wireless card but gaming is not a huge concern (might be nice but keeping price reasonable.)

Thanks for any advice!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap and little 1080P box0