SSD or flash to boot?
is it worth to buy a small SSD like 8/16 GB to run the OS on your NAS box or a flash drive will do the job?

I plan to run Ubuntu + RAID5 (mdadm) + torrent + couchpotato.

And about the drives to serve as storage, is it better 5400/32 cache for less noise and power consumption or go for the 7200/64 cache?
I wouldn't bother with an SSD for a server.

As far as the raid-5 drives go what I'm currently trying out is:

a) use Caviar Green drives for the raid-5
b) use 1 x 2 TB Caviar Black drive as the 'cache' for all the heavy lifting; networks xfers, transcoding, VirtualBox, etc.

The raid-5 works great, but the Green drives are definitely not as nimble as the Caviar Black or other 7200 rpm drives. This way you have the speed for working + move the 'finished product' onto the raid-5 once its ready to be served.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
I used one of these for my freenas boot drive:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/eusb-ssd-...gssgh.html

Windows won't boot from these eUSB drives, but you shouldn't have any problems booting linux/*bsd.

They use SLC memory and have wear leveling that you won't get with a USB stick, and has the advantage of not taking up a SATA port (more available for drives)
jvdb Wrote:I used one of these for my freenas boot drive:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/eusb-ssd-...gssgh.html

Windows won't boot from these eUSB drives, but you shouldn't have any problems booting linux/*bsd.

They use SLC memory and have wear leveling that you won't get with a USB stick, and has the advantage of not taking up a SATA port (more available for drives)

Sounds very interesting, but do you think that just 2 GBs would be enough?
thethirdnut Wrote:I wouldn't bother with an SSD for a server.

As far as the raid-5 drives go what I'm currently trying out is:

a) use Caviar Green drives for the raid-5
b) use 1 x 2 TB Caviar Black drive as the 'cache' for all the heavy lifting; networks xfers, transcoding, VirtualBox, etc.

The raid-5 works great, but the Green drives are definitely not as nimble as the Caviar Black or other 7200 rpm drives. This way you have the speed for working + move the 'finished product' onto the raid-5 once its ready to be served.

By "cache" you mean use it to install the OS and the apps I plan to run and not be part of the RAID-5, right? Because I have 1x 400 GB disk that I won't be using for anything. Maybe I could use this as "cache", right? It has 32 MB of cache and 7200 RPM.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD or flash to boot?0