• 4(current)
Removal of Files views - need skinner comments
jmarshall Wrote:@watzen: it appears your db is screwed up indeed - notice the 0/smb stuff it's trying to have - where it is getting the "0/" from? This is just from a db upgrade, right? If so, I may have to grab mysql and debug it.

yup, only from a db upgrade. creating a new (mysql)db from these builds works perfectly.
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
jmarshall Wrote:Regarding reorganisation, I see a couple of things:

1. If we assume that a source contains only one type of videos (eg only movies) then for sure it could be listed in the main "Movies" overview node. We could for instance have sources://movies/ to complement sources://video/, the former showing only those sources which have content set to "movies". The problem, ofcourse is that XBMC allows you to set content type on any folder, so it could well be a subfolder. Perhaps this could be discouraged (it certainly simplifies things), or we could have a content type "mixed" or some such.

Personally I always like making stuff stricter with less special cases.

I think if we first take a step back and look at why the subfolder thing may have been needed and used we can see if its possible to omit it. What I believe is that a user in some shape or form uses the files view to navigate the media, if so it may make sense to set smb://foo/ as movies but smb://foo/bar as tv shows, because they have this weird structure on their NAS and do not wish to have both as seperate sources in their organization. Another use case may be that they add smb://foo but set content on smb://foo/movies and smb://foo/tvshows as they only want to show foo (the computer) in the file list, as it gives easier navigation.

Both of these cases are IMO just for organization and if we can have a better scheme for organization we can remove that sub folder stuff. IMO the sources node should be just a place where you specify sources for your library, with that definition the organization of this node does not matter as it shouldn't really be used to navigate the content. In that regard adding both of the sources in each of the cases above is an ok requirement IMO. As for the first case it seems to me that we could easily have the a root folders content setting take precedence over what it may be in recursive. Hope I am making some sense Smile

jmarshall Wrote:2. The reorganisation will allow basically any structure - so smartplaylists and nodes could be placed relatively flexibly - the main "Overview" nodes would simply be folders that contain other nodes, so certainly the user could manually add some sources in there, but I think I'd prefer it to be automated if at all possible. eg I'm not sure if a listing of:

The former is easy to specify as the "Files" node is auto-filled with all sources of type "Movies". The latter must either be specified manually, or we must have some sort of "combined listing" where we list both the "Files" node and the "overview" node (similar to a multipath.) Personally I prefer the first, with the latter allowed via manual config.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I'm not really sure (could be because I haven't had my coffee yet) if you are talking about the root or what should be listed in the movies section? but I'd like the root of the library to be something like:
Movies (autogen)
TVShows (autogen)
Sources (here we add whatever we want in the other nodes, it is unorganized in the aspect of navigating media and just a way of getting data into the library).
VirtualNode1
VirtualNode2
VirtualNodeN

(Sorted in a natural way) All VirtualNodeX are stuff the user can specify via something similair to smart playlists.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Double "mark as watched/unwatched" in context menu for a root node:
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
@topfs2: Yup - we're on the same page. What I'm getting at is it would be useful to have "Movie" sources listed under the "Movie Overview" node (where you have Titles, Genre, Year etc. you'd append a "Files" node) So showing only sources which have content set to "movies" in this listing would be useful, should the user decide to do that.

The VirtualNode thingees are then a manual setup on behalf of the user.

Thus, by default everything would be exactly as it is now but with the addition that the "Movie Overview", "TVShow Overview" and "MusicVideo Overview" pages will also have a Files node added.

In the future, these will be editable (specified via XML).

@watzen: will take a look.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

@All: I've made several updates (and rebased to master) that fixes a bunch of stuff, and also moves the information retrieval into the GetDirectory call, rather than having it backgrounded - it's still fast enough (almost as fast as retrieving the full movies node).

This means that watched filtering etc. is all working now (even if the source isn't in the library)

I've rebased on master, which means unfortunately the videodb version has been bumped again (as there was a version bump for mysql related issues the other day). Thus, if you have used my branch before, you'll need to drop your db and use a fresh one.

It would be great if you could test it out - I think it's just about ready for pushing this initial bit into master.

If someone could build for win32 (as I think that's what most use?) that'd be great - I'll see if I can hook one up tomorrow if noone else gets to it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:Thus, by default everything would be exactly as it is now but with the addition that the "Movie Overview", "TVShow Overview" and "MusicVideo Overview" pages will also have a Files node added.

Don't you guys think that it would be convenient to have all DB operations in one place? May I ask what's the reasoning/constraint preventing addition of rest of DB operations to Overview sections you mentioned above (e.g. recently added, search and filter)?

Second one is about wording. I'm not an native english speaker but if I "Add source" I would expect to find "Sources" node in "Overviews". Add Video Source dialog is speaking about adding "media" not files. In fact, it's a little misleading as your library has also Files, they are just "more organized". This may be a chance to jump out of library/files dualism.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

as for subfolders; consider this:

tvshows/someshow/somerelatedmovie

that's why i wanted it in there.
@pecinko: The recently added nodes are essentially smartplaylists, so yes, they can be wherever you like in the new scheme. I'll start work on that bit of it once I have the music files node done. As for the text, currently the Files node displays videos organised by file. There is no "Add source" in the UI - it's "Add Videos..." I guess I could make it "Add Files..." if folk think that's a better descriptor (I don't).

@spiff: I wonder whether that could be taken care of by a "this is a movie" thing in the "Refresh" movie info dialog. i.e. it's initially classified as a show, but isn't picked up (or is picked up wrongly) - user clicks on info and they can reclassify/correct it there?

Ofcourse we'll need some normalisation of the database so that we don't have to have the separate table types when we don't need them.

Cheers,
Jonathan

that solution would definitely work fine as well.
jmarshall Wrote:If someone could build for win32 (as I think that's what most use?) that'd be great - I'll see if I can hook one up tomorrow if noone else gets to it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

If no one beats me too it I'll build a new one and up it in about 8 hours
So how would you add Home-videos, clips, stand-up? Scrapping those would give you lots of results, all of which would be wrong. Will some things be able to be added to the library as "Filename Only"?

On the shares issue, having separate shares for media is a bad idea for some Windows users, as most versions of Windows only support 10 or less concurrent connections to different shares. However different paths under one share solves this shortcoming.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
spiff Wrote:as for subfolders; consider this:

tvshows/someshow/somerelatedmovie

that's why i wanted it in there.

Ah, thats a case I didn't think of. Glad that the refresh will solve it Smile

MacGyver Wrote:So how would you add Home-videos, clips, stand-up? Scrapping those would give you lots of results, all of which would be wrong. Will some things be able to be added to the library as "Filename Only"?

On the shares issue, having separate shares for media is a bad idea for some Windows users, as most versions of Windows only support 10 or less concurrent connections to different shares. However different paths under one share solves this shortcoming.

I think they would go into the files view of the library, or you later set up a virtual node for "Home Videos" which you set to just aggregate the content from source X
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
MacGyver Wrote:So how would you add Home-videos, clips, stand-up? Scrapping those would give you lots of results, all of which would be wrong.

I don't know how flexible existing code is but "Files scraper" would be nice. You could use folders for organization, folder.jpgs amd fanart.jpgs and choose if to scrap by folder names.

E.g. you put your vacation clips into Greece 2008 folder, add custom folder.jpg and fanart, maybe add some additional info through .nfo files.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

here's a build. warning: backup library before running it. Just created it, so I haven't tried it myself.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FQ5PU0QB
Yup - nothing in particular says you have to scrape things. The current plan is that the current "Add Video Sources/Set Content" flow would be changed to a single dialog that has the following:

1. Specify what type of videos you are adding (Movies, Shows, Music videos, Documentaries, Just a bunch of Files + whatever else)

2. Specify where the files are (this could be one or more paths - I'm tending to think of just the one path in here to keep it simple).

3. Specify whether you want info fetched or not.

4. Any options required for 3 (either on a separate dialog, or on the dialog itself).

Cheers,
Jonathan

• 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Removal of Files views - need skinner comments0