What Os for ASRock VisionX 321B and xbmc
Hello.
I have ordered a ASRock VisionX 321B. And I am going to use it pretty much only for the magnificent xbmc Smile
What operating system do you guys recommend. I am ok with computers but is only used to windows. But I noticed there are nice guides here so I think I could manage to install linux, but it seems it is more work to get the latest drivers etc then. What is the recommandation, windows or linux?

Thanks Angel
Welcome to forums... Smile

I would recommend Linux, obviously even if its just to stick it to Microsoft. :p

Seriously now, Linux because it demands less of your Hardware and is more efficient.

I would install Minimal Ubuntu install + XBMC -Script- definely that will support your video drivers without installing 12.10 amd drivers because their buggy as hell (from what I read in both windows and Linux.

Just a small note use the updated script I pushed, it has a bugfix (bram77 hasn't had time to correct it yet. You follow same instructions post 1 and 2 but when it comes to pulling script pull this

Code:
cd ~
wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=DC33kxAB -O ~/prepare_install_2_6_1.sh
bash ./prepare_install_2_6_1.sh

You should be greeted by XBMC all going well.

To fix your remote+internal CIR The fix is on my signature.

uNi
Thank you for your reply Smile
It looks a little bit complicated, but I will give it a try when I get my new entertainment machine Smile
Its not complicated at all, Its just a normal reaction to anything that has more than 3 lines long and is Linux related. Wink

uNi
The VisionX model uses AMD graphics doesn't it? In which case stay away from Linux if you want HD audio as AMD drivers can't do HD audio in Linux, you'll need to use Windows if you want HD audio.
Yes you are right, it does use amd. I will buy windows 8, they have cheap upgrades for it now. Thank you Smile
Am I right that this is not the case anymore, since recent builds of Openelec are supposed to support HD audio on external AMD graphic cards?
The OSS builds maybe
(2013-11-02, 13:11)stiwi Wrote: Am I right that this is not the case anymore, since recent builds of Openelec are supposed to support HD audio on external AMD graphic cards?

Yes I think the development builds of Openelec may support this now, but I believe it's very early experimental stuff at the moment that's been made possible by AMD finally supplying the documentation of how to do this in the OSS drivers, from the snippets I've read it seems fast progress in getting it stable is being made.
Its something along these lines http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854 so Ill go back to my original suggestion, Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What Os for ASRock VisionX 321B and xbmc0