Time to ditch my Roku+XBOX+360 for AppleTV 2?
I have used XBMC since it first came out on XBOX. Here's my current setup:

XBOX - Streams all non-HD content from my media server
Roku - Streams Netflix and a few independent channels
XBOX 360 - Streams HD content from my media server. (I don't play games much on this anymore)

I would love to consolidate and was thinking of building a HTPC until I just noticed that XBMC is out for Apple TV 2. Hurrah! Wouldn't Apple TV 2 easily consolidate all this functionality for me? Then I will have one device hooked up to my TV that I can control with my Android phone or the Apple TV remote.

Unless there are any major roadblocks in the iOS XBMC port that I haven't read about yet, it seems like there is no reason for anyone to have a HTPC anymore and people will start switching to Apple TV 2.
What do you consider HD content? If it's 720p then you're fine. If 1080p then you might want to wait and see if maybe the next generation ATV hardware will support it. I currently have ATV2 and it does everything I want it for but I don't download 1080p content. I use it for smaller SD stuff, 720p movies, 720p TV shows and Netflix. Works great for what I watch. Oh ya and all my HD content audio is DTS/DD and is sent to the receiver for decoding. Works great. Hope this helps.
r6danl Wrote:What do you consider HD content? If it's 720p then you're fine. If 1080p then you might want to wait and see if maybe the next generation ATV hardware will support it.

Yup, 720p works for me. I don't bother with 1080p and it's quadruple file size for not much gain. Smile Guess I'll sell my gear, and pick up an Apple TV 2. Gonna be nice - the only things I'll have hooked to my TV will be the one HDMI cable and my antenna for OTA HD channels. Nice! Thanks!

Now I have to look into options for gaming/emulation on appleTV just for kicks. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time to ditch my Roku+XBOX+360 for AppleTV 2?0