best digital media receiver to use with XBMC?
I sold my HTPC because I just didn't need all of the bells and whistles of it. Now I'm looking at boxes such as Apple TV.

#1) I have a Buffalo Linkstation Pro, and want to be able to obviously get movies/tv shows from that.

#2) I want to be able to use an nzb based program like sabnzbd and sickbeard to download my tv shows automatically and then organize them with sickbeard.

#3) I have a lot of mkv's that I have ripped from Blurays. Need to be able to play these.

#4) I don't have a computer or anything other than a laptop, and I don't want that turned on all the time. Only the Linkstation Pro.

What do you recommend?
an HTPC... right now, xbmc only runs on apple tv 1 & 2 and a mac or pc, and you won't get any nzb program in apple tv 2, since it has no storage. You may want to look at an Apple TV 1st gen + a Crystal HD card, which then could perhaps do what you want, but, as the apple tv 1 only has 256mb ram is quite a limiting factor, I wouldn't do nzb + htcp on one of thouse. In my opinion, you did a wrong decission in selling your HTPC.

If I were you I'd get the cheapest ION based neetop around, add a SSD Hard drive, install xbmc live or linux based and you're ready to go. There even are cheaper options than going the ION route, but you'll have to build it.

EDIT: forgot.. you may want to have a look at the Popcorn Hour devices. I think some of them could run an emule client, but I don't remember if it was standard, or some hack or even if it wasn't. Maybe those will run some nzb program too. But price for price, I'd get a HTPC hands down, eyes closed.
A popcorn Hour C-200 will do #1, #3, and #4, but if you want sickbeard and couchpotato you absolutely need an HTPC.

Alternatively, you could run SAB, Sick and CouchPotato on your laptop and move files from it to the NAS. Once they're stored there's no need to keep the laptop running, and you can stream them to a Popcorn Hour, ATVII, WDLive, etc.
Oh, to make it clear: the popcorn hour don't run xbmc. Neither does the wdtv live.
^^
Very true. I sometimes forget which forum I'm on Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best digital media receiver to use with XBMC?0