Movie Sorting: does not ignore "The"
Noticed an incongruity between the remote and how xbmc itself sorts movies.

E.g., if I have the movie "The King's Speech", it is in a folder "The King's Speech (2010)". It is sorted by the letter "K" in xbmc, but is sorted by the letter "T" on the remote. Obviously this leads to a slew of movies in the T's that really shouldn't be there.

I don't believe this is something I can fix on my end without changing all the movies starting with the name "The" to be named otherwise, correct?
This is the same with music artists as well.

Can the remote be changed to ignore articles (e.g., "the", "a", etc) by default? I can't imagine why anyone would ever WANT to sort by them...

"The Beatles" should end up in the B's, not the T's.
^
Sure, the remote can be enhanced to do this. But then you'll have to add the articles in every language so the query can be build correct.
I don't know if this is automatically done in the JSON RPC. Then it will be there when we finished implementing it.
XBMCLive Dharma beta 2 running on an ASRock ION 330 HT
Can articles be manually added? Such as the main ones from common languages (e.g., The, El, La, Los, Las, Le, Les). I assume there is a complete list within XMBC already (since the option is offered for the main program).

Not sure if your answer is saying "yes we can do that now, we just need the articles" or "not until later and only if it is done automatically"
The answer is that we could do it. But I hate having 2 complete lists of the articles. One in XBMC itself and one in the remote.
At least JSONRPC supports sorting items it returns with or without the article and it uses the article list available in XBMC. I'm not sure about httpapi though (which is what you use IIRC).

In JSONRPC you can pass the "sort" parameter to methods like VideoLibrary.GetMovies which takes "method", "order" and "ignorearticle" (in nightlies, in Dharma it was "ignorethe") as arguments.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Seems like I should put some more work into moving to JSONRPC Smile
Perfectly understandable Smile I'll work on being patient and waiting for the move to JSONRPC then Wink Thank you for all your hard work!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie Sorting: does not ignore "The"0