GreenPois0n adds untethered for 4.2.1 ATV2! RC6 Available now!
Yeah, I have tried that as well.

When you say you tried several times, was that just to get it into DFU, or did you also get the Jailbreak failed message at the end as well?

One potentially very stupid question - after you restore using iTunes to standard firmware, do you need to load the custom firmware again before doing all of this, or you can just do this greenpoison untethered jailbreak with a virgin ATV?

I have a friends AppleTV as well, and damned if I'm not getting the same on his. Makes me wonder if I am missing something obvious. Both ATVs have been restored to factory firmware, reporting 4.1.1 in Apple TV (iOS 4.2.1) and both I can get into DFU relatively easily - the button to the left of the green status bar when it says it is Jailbreaking changes to Jailbreak failed and the button above it says to quit and retry!
So a question for someone who has done this. When it works, what does the screen on greenpois0n look like? I shouldn't be getting "Jailbreak failed" on a disabled button - right?!?
How do you get 4.2? I have an ATV2 with 4.1.1, if I go into upgrade it says I have the latest version installed. The apple site seems also to note 4.1.1 is the latest?
Keith

XBMC on Acer Revo, Windows 7.
ATV2.
Intel NUC, Windows 7
Gateway Laptop when traveling...
tanglin Wrote:How do you get 4.2? I have an ATV2 with 4.1.1, if I go into upgrade it says I have the latest version installed. The apple site seems also to note 4.1.1 is the latest?

4.1.1 is actually 4.2.
AaronD Wrote:When you say you tried several times, was that just to get it into DFU, or did you also get the Jailbreak failed message at the end as well?
Yes, I got the failed message once, but I noticed I did something wrong in the procedure, then tried again until got it to work.

AaronD Wrote:One potentially very stupid question - after you restore using iTunes to standard firmware, do you need to load the custom firmware again before doing all of this, or you can just do this greenpoison untethered jailbreak with a virgin ATV?
After restoring using iTunes, before going to jailbreak plug ATV2 to your TV, define network, language, etc. When you notices that ATV2 is working fine, then unplug all cables and go to GreenPoison procedures.
dtviewer Wrote:4.1.1 is actually 4.2.

Thanks dt!

I thought that might have been the case but couldn't find it anywhere.
Keith

ATV2.
Intel NUC, Windows 7
Just used Greenpois0n rc6 for Windows 7 64-bit on an AppleTV 2nd gen (iOS 4.2.1) and it was successful. =) Untethered jailbreak. I just purchased this AppleTV from the Apple Store last week. Barely even used it.. waiting for untethered jailbreak. I used a micro USB cable from my Western Digital external USB hard drive. Here's what I did:

1- connected ethernet cable directly to appletv (no power cable, no usb yet)
2- plugged in micro USB from PC to appletv (appletv starts to blink) (no power cable on the appletv yet)
3- Windows shows that device detected and eventually iTunes starts up. Close iTunes.
4- launched greenpois0n.exe for windows (rc6)
5- answered yes to 'Are you jailbreaking on AppleTV'
6- click 'Prepare to jailbreak' button
7- greenpois0n instructs me to plug in USB (well I already did that so I just skipped this step)
8- greenpois0n instructs me to plug in power to appletv (I intentionally SKIPPED doing this!)
9- greenpois0n instructs me to hold Play and Menu for 7 seconds. Did this. Then released. Blicking light on appletv continues by the way during this entire time.
10- after releasing buttons, greenpois0n gives me the 'Try Again' button - I clicked this
11- then greenpois0n instructs me to plug in USB from the beginning .. but then immediately this button goes away and the app shows me the 'Jailbreak' button (that's good!) so I click it.
12- the Jailbreak button then shows 'Jailbreaking' and the progress bar begins to draw from left to right several times. Light on appletv still blinking.
13- After about 55 seconds, the app shows 'Jailbreak complete' with a 'Quit' button. I left it sitting there for an additional 45 seconds without touching anything.
14- clicked 'Quit' button. Light on appletv still blinking.
15- Disconnected micro USB cable from appletv

After all this, I then connected the appletv to the TV with HDMI cable. AppleTV still connected via ethernet cable. Power cable is plugged in now for the 1st time into appletv.

a) Apple logo comes up.. after 15 seconds, then 'Waiting for network time...' shows
b) Appletv menu comes up and I see greenpois0n menu item right there in the middle (awesome!)
c) under greenpois0n menu, I chose 'Inject Software'.. shows 'Cydia Payload' (includes SSH) - click that.. it proceeds to download packages .. takes a short time..
d) says 'Installation successful Press Menu to reboot'.. I press Menu button.. after a short while the Appletv menu comes up again and greenpois0n menu is no longer there. NitoTV menu is not there either. So I pull the power plug from AppleTV and plug back in.
e) the appletv reboot takes longer than usual here it seems.. finally Appletv menu comes up.. nitoTV menu is visible.

I did not use the nitoTV menu to install XBMC. Rather I used the instructions from http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...MC_on_ATV2 and this worked. I used 'Putty' to SSH into the AppleTV using it's IP address. Logged in as root as instructed, copied/pasted the commands. I did see an error message after the final command (apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2) .. see error at bottom. But sure enough, XBMC shows as a menu in Appletv now and it works.

I want to thank everyone who created the jailbreak software, and also thank Davilla for his XBMC port!!

This is error I received after apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 but XBMC installs successfully anyways. Maybe these inconsequential errors.
Quote:Found 4.2.1:Removing seatbelt profile key from AppleTV
Setting up org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (10.0-0) ...
No matching processes were found
dpkg: error processing org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
AlessandroSS Wrote:Already did the GP RC6 jailbreak, already have nitoTV in ATV2 menu. But I tried to install XBMC through nitoTV's Install Software menu but did not work, the installing procedure goes to the end, but no XBMC menu appears, also tried reboot but nothing.

Should I install XBMC in a different way or is it right through nitoTV?

thanks!

I had the same problem, I just went back into the nitoTV interface and re-installed it again.
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
umm i jb using the gp rc6 .. no smb using wire .. tried the ip address as in previous versions.. but no luck ..
everything else seems to work ..

any ideas??

thank you
Geez out of God knows how many attempts I finally got GP installed. I tried and tried with my MBP and couldn't do it. I did the Windows route and it installed successfully. Now I can sleep tonight.

toshiba1's steps above helped me get through it!
Radikaltimes Wrote:umm i jb using the gp rc6 .. no smb using wire .. tried the ip address as in previous versions.. but no luck ..
everything else seems to work ..

any ideas??

thank you

Exit XBMC and confirm in the Apple Settings | General menu that you have a working network connection, this happens to me sometimes, all I do is exit XBMC and restart it, browsing SMB works fine, no manual typing of IP's. It seems as tho XBMC doesn't pick-up that network is connected on first start-up.
Ok So I'm running a tethered JB using PwnageTool 4.2.1 at the moment, reading the comments sound like previous JailBreaks can cause ssh to fail. Whats the best way to upgrade, backup all of the XBMC folder?

Restore apple firmware, Jailbreak with RC6, ssh in install XBMC and then copy the xbmc folder over? If so will this hold all my settings and configuration details ok? Don't really want to spend time getting XBMC how I like it again?
After a lot of shagging around last night and today, I finally found that the greenpois0n rc6 requires internet access to work. Because I was using a laptop at my tv, I didn't have internet access and it failed.

For those that get persistent "Jailbreak failed" messages, make sure you have internet access.
bircoe Wrote:edit: looks like flashing over Seas0nPass breaks ssh... best do a factory restore first...
[/url]

not for me, ssh working!

melagodo
RoarinRow Wrote:toshiba1's steps above helped me get through it!

Me too - Thanks Tosh1!

Now I have 2 fully operational xbmc clients in the house! I guess I'll change my sig Smile

One question, is there an easy way to remove the Nito TV menu item once xbmc is installed? I'll never need it.
Keith

ATV2.
Intel NUC, Windows 7

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GreenPois0n adds untethered for 4.2.1 ATV2! RC6 Available now!0