problems with samba on win 7 64bit
I have two computers in my apartment. One in my bedroom that houses my movie collection, and a HTPC in my living room where I stream the movies from the computer in my bedroom. Both computers run windows 7 64-bit and for some reason I can't stream 1080p movies without XBMC needing to buffer every few minutes. Both computers have gigabit network cards, when I just copy a movie from one to the other using explorer I get speeds around 50MB/sec. So a 1080p movie is copied in just a few minutes. Therefore I don't think there is a problem with the hardware. If I mount my share as a network device on the HTPC and then add that as a source it plays just fine. It's only when playing from sources added as smb and with large 1080p files that I get a problem. Also I'm running XBMC 10.0

Any ideas anyone?

/Olle
I suggest posting a debug log from a time in which you find yourself buffering. See my signature on how to post a windows related problem for info on how to get a debug log.
Thanks for the reply!

I did a debug and the log can be found here
In a few places it says:
WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
I presume this is where it starts buffering.

/Olle
It seems I was mistaken in my original post. Adding the share as a network device in windows and then adding that device as a source does not help the problem.
I tried copying a file from the share using the xbmc file manager and I got a speed of 2.5MB/sec(it actually said Mb but I'm guessing/hoping that's a typo).

I also tried copying files from a laptop I have running win 7 32-bit and got similar speeds. This is really driving me nuts! As it is now I can't watch 1080p movies. Is there any other protocol I can use to share files to my HTPC?
Preferably something that doesn't require third party software but right now I'm open to anything.

/Olle
Try disabling remote differential compression?
Thank you for your reply! I found the solution in this thread. Turns out it was a crappy driver.

/Olle

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problems with samba on win 7 64bit0