moving from tethered jailbreak to untethered...
Hi,

i currently have XBMC installed and setup exactly as i want it, only annoyance is the tethered jailbreak (SeasonPass).

if i was to jailbreak it via Greenpoison, would i lose the installation of XBMC and it's settings, etc? (if i have to do a factory default restore)

it looks like some people have greenpoisoned over the top of seasonpass, but it looks like that loses SSH...

any help much appreciated...
While it looks like some people have managed to do a greenpois0n jailbreak over the top of seas0npass, it's not recommended, as you say, people are reporting issues.

The cleanest way to do it is:
  1. Backup the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC directory from AppleTV to your computer
  2. Restore the AppleTV to factory settings in iTunes
  3. Apply greenpois0n jailbreak
  4. Install XBMC
  5. Overwrite the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC directory with the one you backup up to your computer

Your XBMC installation should now be exactly the same as it was before you re-jailbroke, with all your settings, library etc.

You will have to manually redo any non-XBMC settings such as your wifi password etc.

Disclaimer: I haven't done this yet, but I've read on many places that this is the best way of going about it. So shall be doing so soon.
jcwacky Wrote:While it looks like some people have managed to do a greenpois0n jailbreak over the top of seas0npass, it's not recommended, as you say, people are reporting issues.

I've tried both and you definitely want to restore your atv2 in iTunes first then run greenpois0n. Otherwise you won't get the nitoTV menu and your ramdisk will supposedly get screwed up.

Quote:The cleanest way to do it is:
  1. Backup the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC directory from AppleTV to your computer
  4. Install XBMC
  5. Overwrite the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC directory with the one you backup up to your computer

Your XBMC installation should now be exactly the same as it was before you re-jailbroke, with all your settings, library etc.

You will have to manually redo any non-XBMC settings such as your wifi password etc.

Good instructions... nice and clear... should be easy for anyone to follow. Here's a link to the GP RC6 ongoing thread (has a good ref to jb instructions):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94033
jcwacky Wrote:While it looks like some people have managed to do a greenpois0n jailbreak over the top of seas0npass, it's not recommended, as you say, people are reporting issues.

The cleanest way to do it is:
  4. Install XBMC

Disclaimer: I haven't done this yet, but I've read on many places that this is the best way of going about it. So shall be doing so soon.

youre talking about the xbmc folder and not the logs right??
I've got my Apple tv2 jailbroken (untethered) via greenp0ison rc6 successfully and xbmc installed.

Is there any way to stream from my slingbox pro-hd onto my atv2 via xbmc?
Atv2 Wrote:I've got my Apple tv2 jailbroken (untethered) via greenp0ison rc6 successfully and xbmc installed.

Is there any way to stream from my slingbox pro-hd onto my atv2 via xbmc?

Is there a reason you are asking that question here, in the off-topic area in a thread about changing a atv from tethered to untethered?
thanks for that, would i just do that via any FTP software? (like CyberDuck)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
moving from tethered jailbreak to untethered...0