SD content plays jerky, HD fine
Hi,

I've been using XBMC for a long time but recently switched my HTPC over to Windows. Everything going smoothly except for playback of SD content. It always seems to play jerky. No matter if its 24fps, 25fps, 30fps or 60fps it never plays stable. 720p/1080p content plays flawlessly with minimal CPU usage using DXVA2 decoders.

I've tried disabling vsync but that caused the GUI to run slowly and didn't help the videos. I've also tried the "adjust refresh to playback framerate" and all of the "always keep playback in sync" type options in as many combinations as I could think of, restarting XBMC each time. All postprocessing is turned off in XBMC and in the NVIDIA software.

All drivers are the latest etc. The main difference I notice is that dxva2 isn't used to decode any SD content. It's all done by ff-mpeg4. Could that be causing any trouble? There's no 3rd party codecs installed on the machine or anything. I installed Windows 7 SP1 (+updates) and XBMC only.

CPU usage hovers around 7-8% while playing SD content so it can't be that. XBMC also doesn't report any major framedrops and shows it playing at the correct framerate. 60fps videos will max out around 45fps while using around 20% CPU.

The debug log is at http://pastebin.com/ZYkPPy1h
Okay, getting there.

I went into windows and disabled all themes and aero and the jerkiness issue is now gone. However now v-sync doesn't work. Found a way through searching on the forums to make it work however it involves checking "adjust refresh rate to match framerate". The only problem with this is it won't go into 24hz, even though my TV supports it. When playing a 24fps file it just goes to 50hz which introduces jerkiness again.

Guess I'll try Linux next.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SD content plays jerky, HD fine0