Ubuntu XBMC help needed!!! BEGINNER Scripts upload
Smile 
Hello...

I am new here, also new to linux (ubuntu 9.4) + XBMC, working on a project to write a Python app for XBMC.
I followed the http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...on_Scripts basic steps:

1. open a text document.
2. paste some code in there. Read this tutorial: HOW-TO write Python Scripts for XBMC
3. save it to any name you wish with .py on the end for the file extension. (myscript.py)
4. ftp it to the scripts folder in XBMC (F:/xbmc/scripts/)
5. in xbmc goto the submenu naturally beside the power button on the skin in Project Mayhem 1.
6. click scripts in the submenu.
7. find your script you uploaded and run it.
8. “White Button” on the controller for python debug whilst in scripts window (Added:13-02-05)

...to make an "hello world" app and run it in XBMC. It stopped at the step 4., where I cannot find a folder scripts. So I tried to create one in usr/lib/xbmc but I couldn't - "Permission denied" ... hm... So there is a problem how to go on... Huh Any help?
I think addon modules are placed within ~/.xbmc/addons on ubuntu.
addons/script.module.pysqlite or addons/script.module.pil Huh
And whereever I want to put the .py file the permisson is denied... how do I get the permission?
check your ~/.xbmc folder on the ubuntu machine. It should be writable to the user you're logged in as, as it is inside the user's home folder (~/). Also note that it's a hidden folder (a period in the beginning of the name), so if your using a gui filebrowser you probably have to enable Show hidden files.
see here -> http://xbmc-gpodder-integration.googleco...%20-R7.pdf
gapistar Wrote:And whereever I want to put the .py file the permisson is denied... how do I get the permission?

To get write permission outside the home folder on Ubuntu you usually need root access. That can be achieved by putting sudo in front of your command(s).
Code:
sudo mkdir my_folder

Use sudo with care. Rolleyes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu XBMC help needed!!! BEGINNER Scripts upload0