• 9(current)
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
Superorb Wrote:I didn't know this. Is it possible to just plug in an MCE receiver and use an MCE remote? There was o setting up the remote on my end, just install XBMC and I was good to go.

In the apple tv settings there is the option to add remotes under the "remotes" section, in frontrow, not in xbmc. From there the apple tv will ask you to press buttons corresponding to what is on screen, the apple tv then remembers what each button means and they work in xbmc. There is no need for the receiver, the apple tv does all the work. Obviously this is limited to what the apple tv asks for but there is pretty good coverage of all of the basic functionality you need.

Here is the apple writeup on the functionality...
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3296

There are more buttons you can train than what is displayed in that tutorial though.
ProphetVX Wrote:In the apple tv settings there is the option to add remotes under the "remotes" section, in frontrow, not in xbmc. From there the apple tv will ask you to press buttons corresponding to what is on screen, the apple tv then remembers what each button means and they work in xbmc. There is no need for the receiver, the apple tv does all the work. Obviously this is limited to what the apple tv asks for but there is pretty good coverage of all of the basic functionality you need.

Here is the apple writeup on the functionality...
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3296

There are more buttons you can train than what is displayed in that tutorial though.
How many more? The Apple remote has 6 buttons, and there are definitely more than 6 buttons that I use on my MCE remote.
Superorb Wrote:How many more? The Apple remote has 6 buttons, and there are definitely more than 6 buttons that I use on my MCE remote.

It has support for play fast forward etc etc... Regular playback controls. There isn't an implementation for buttons like Information or anything like that though, as I said it's limited, but for playback of media it's fine... I use my iphone for other stuff like triggering library updates etc. I'm sure that will improve over time, however I don't believe you can add another receiver at this point due to access to the USB port being very limited.
ProphetVX Wrote:I don't believe you can add another receiver at this point due to access to the USB port being very limited.

This is what I wanted to know. I'll hold off on an ATV2 until they can get more buttons mapped, or ideally I could use an MCE remote that I'm already using.
For the mini-ITX builds, with the Apex MI-100 case... which direction is everyone running the fans?

I have my HD in the bottom of the case, up in front of the mobo to allow nice airflow over the cpu and gpu heatsink from one side of the case to the other. I'm running currently without any case fan; it's running pretty cool, but I am going to add a fan to hopefully further reduce the speed on my CPU cooler, for reduced noise (the intel cooler is pretty noisy).

Initially I assumed I would place the fan blowing out to induce air to flow in and over the mobo from the far side, and out the other side. But... with the PS already blowing out (and on my build take taking some flow directly from the CPU cooler, as it sits directly on top of it), I am thinking now it may be better to use the 120mm case fan as an intake fan, creating positive pressure, and maybe reducing dust buildup with a filter. Flow over the mobo would be reduced, but it might be good in the sense that it doesn't interfere with the CPU -> PS exaust flow that's already going on. Thoughts?

[For those that aren't familiar, the vent holes are on either side of the box in this case, with the PS intake fan (sitting on top of and in contact with the CPU cooler) blowing out the back]
This is a great deal, especially to use as an XBMC box now that it's been ported to iOS. Only $80 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-TV-MC572LL-A/2...0.m2000036
Update on the fan for the mini-itx builds:

I first tried a Scythe S-flex 120mm, 800rpm. Worked great, sounded great - but it didn't fit. I could wedge it in there and it sat looking quite nice and snug. I even removed the ridge from the bottom of the case, the one used to stabilize the HD rail, when it is mounted in the vertical position.

When I turned it on it was clear it was a little too snug and the mounting "dimples" for the hard drive on the top rail were deforming the fan frame just enough to jam the blades. (I mounted it as seen here, from Silent PC Review):

SEE POST BELOW FOR PICTURE

Next I got a Sycthe Slipstream Slim 120mm, 1200 rpm. It clearly doesn't move as much air and at 1,200 rpm it is too loud. But it fits. And even better, it fits on the opposite side; when set to blow in, aimed at the GPU heatsink, it reduces the GPU from 51 to 41 degrees C, as well as providing 5 degrees of cooling for the CPU and some noticeable cooling for the HD, which I have laying on the floor of the case in front of the mobo.

So now I'm left wanting a "full" thickness fan that will mount like the one in the picture. I'm not sure what else I could do aside from dremmelling the HD mount dimples. Has anyone successfully mounted a fan like seen in the picture?
picture not working
eskro Wrote:picture not working

Yeah, it is really inconsistent. Try reloading the link a couple of times. I can upload it offsite and post a link, but I was trying respect the copyright.

Edit: How about now...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8001163/fan.jpg
Picture from Silent PC Review
i dont have that case but i know that many mounted a 120mm x 25mm fan on their
APEX MI-100 case...

so for your case,,, i dunno,,, sorry :/

was it a 120mm x 35mm fan ??
eskro Wrote:was it a 120mm x 35mm fan ??

It was this: Scythe "S-FLEX" S-FDB 120mm Quiet Fan
ok but, the case is not APEX MI-100 right?
cuz i know they fit on it!
eskro Wrote:ok but, the case is not APEX MI-100 right?
cuz i know they fit on it!

It sure is. Believe me, I tried. It "fit," but VERY snugly. If I pulled up on the top rail fairly hard the fan blade would begin to spin. As soon as I let go blade was stopped. Those hard disk mounting dimples even left scratch marks on the top of the fan frame from when I inserted it.
see here http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033...ostcount=8
Thanks for the link.

I dunno what the issue is. On one hand it's obvious that others have the fan running fine. On the other there wasn't any way the fan was going to work correctly.

One interesting thing is that in this picture you can see how the fan frame is bowed down from the HD mounting dimple. Now, with the stock PS in place, you couldn't even fit the fan that far back, so that's not a realistic placement for most. But even with the fan centered on the two dimples - where they should lest impact the frame - I was getting too much frame pressure to allow the blade to spin.

I'm going to try another fan and see. I'm convinced it should fit and I'm determined to figure out how I can make it, or at least why it won't.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?36