ssh into apple-tv-2
hi, am planning on retiring my $200 acer revo for the $99 apple tv. am hoping will be able to ssh into the machine to run my various bash scripts like do on my customized xbmc-live-usb settup.

is this still possible ?
thx,
schneidz Wrote:hi, am planning on retiring my $200 acer revo for the $99 apple tv. am hoping will be able to ssh into the machine to run my various bash scripts like do on my customized xbmc-live-usb settup.

is this still possible ?
thx,

You can SSH into it and run bash scripts for sure. Don't know what dependencies your scripts have though.
thanks that helps a lot, some of my scripts use wget, mencoder, sshfs ... so i gotta' see about if there is a m68k version of those programs.
schneidz Wrote:thanks that helps a lot, some of my scripts use wget, mencoder, sshfs ... so i gotta' see about if there is a m68k version of those programs.

m68k won't help you, you need arm versions. and those you can find (I bet) by simply doing an 'apt-cache search xxxx' . atv2/ios has the entire apt-get repository of Cydia behind it.
better look for an arm version Wink
^ thanks for the correction.
hi, i just hit a roadblock. is there a way to root the apple-tv with fedora linux.
or do i need to buy a mac or copy of win-7 to jailbrake ?
there is a windows version of greenpois0n which should do the hard work ...
^ thx, this is for a friend. his windows pc is in his office and the tv is in another room. i' have a laptop but it has fedora on it and greenp0ison for linux isnt ready yet.
i' guess we'll have to get creative...
schneidz Wrote:^ thx, this is for a friend. his windows pc is in his office and the tv is in another room. i' have a laptop but it has fedora on it and greenp0ison for linux isnready yet.
i' guess we'll have to get creative...

Bring the apple tv in to the office to jb it, you don't need a tv connection for greenpoison jb just the usb connection. Once the jb is done bring it back in to the tv.
^ ok, havent tried yet. i just read in the instructions for a tethered break, you need to plug in the power cable at a specific point... we'll see.
Greenpoison is untethered Wink
schneidz Wrote:tethered break, you need to plug in the power cable at a specific point... we'll see.

Take the power cable with you as well then! Job done.
Image Don't even think about my mother!
Fire69 Wrote:Greenpoison is untethered Wink

oh, ok great. i thought i read that once it is unplugged you have to restart it with the pc plugged in. i'll see how it goes next time i'm over there. thx. (i was thinking of rigging some sort of car battery hot-wire... just kidding -- i have a portable jump-starter which has a plug-in port for charging portable elecronics)
No need for all that man! Smile

Unplugged mine several times already, it boots perfectly when plugged in again Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ssh into apple-tv-20