Lockup on XBMC Startup [debug log posted]
Sad 
I seem to be having issues with XBMC 10.0, in that it locks up the entire machine (Windows XP SP2) on starting XBMC.

After installing over 9.11, it would lock up while still displaying the XBMC logo or at a black screen right after that with just the mouse showing but no longer moveable; after doing a full uninstall with the profile removal option, it now gets into the main XBMC display, but crashes there, often with part of the menu being off the edge of the TV. (Only display is a TV.)

See the link below for XBMC.log at loglevel 3. Oddly, there's actually about 2400 bytes of 0x00 values at the end of the file as well.

http://pastebin.com/Z75F3Cd7

Any ideas?
My first guess is GPU compatibility issues. You're running a pretty old graphics card, but supposedly the FX 5500 is DX 9.0, which I think is all XBMC needs. Still the only relevant warning seems to involve a DirectX error, which makes me still think the graphics card is at fault. Maybe a dev can weigh in.
I know there were some issues with Shader Model 2 in the 5000 line, but I don't think that would have any bearing on XBMC. As you say, a dev would be better placed to discuss that.

Oh and just for the record, the 5500 isn't "pretty old", it's "freakin' ancient". Smile It's in what passes for our entertainment computer, which was thrown together from spare parts.
A little more on this: it appears that the problem is related to displaying the main menu itself. I was able to get in once, and once there everything seemed normal. I went into the System menu to set up a few basic things, and was able to set numerous settings with no problem at all. As soon as I tried to return to the main menu, though, the whole thing locked up again.

I also tried reducing the DirectX compatibility and turning off write combining in the Display, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshooting tab, but it had no effect...unless, of course, I went low enough for it to make XBMC not run at all.

I've reverted to 9.11 for now, and everything works fine in that one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lockup on XBMC Startup [debug log posted]0