[AppleTV2] Wireless no longer works and neither does cat5
Hi guys, I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere. I have searched through the sub-forum and haven't found anything similar.

I purchased my AppleTV and it came with 4.2.1, I used SeasonPass to have a tether jailbreak and have been running XBMC happily for the past few weeks. I was streaming music in the background when suddenly the XBMC menu became unresponsive while the music continued to play. I left it until the album had finished but still couldn't use it. I then physically unplugged the power and restarted, now for whatever reason I can no longer find any wireless networks. Manually typing it in also fails and states that it cannot find the network. I then tried to physically plug in cat5 back to my switch which also didn't work.

I then tried to reset all settings on the AppleTV through the menu and rebooted, the unit then no longer could be booted even when I was using tethered.

I then heard of Greenpois0n and decided to put the unit into DFU mode, restore to stock firmware and try it. Everything looks successful, I leave it for 5 minutes after flashing to ensure the buffer is completely written but then all I see are random artifacts on the TV and it saying "unsupported video mode". My TV supports up to 1080p so not sure what that could mean.

I then restored back to standard just to test it, the unit starts up fine and I can see my wireless network. I then tried the tethered SeasonPass which I could at least boot into, but again my wireless no longer worked and neither did the physical cable.

I can't explain it, it's as if the partition which holds the jailbroken/custom files is not being removed when restoring in DFU mode. Has anyone experienced anything like this or can provide any help?

Just before this problem started I did apt-get update to get the new release of XBMC, I also did an apt-get upgrade which from memory only upgraded 1 additional network .deb package. Could this be causing the problem? Could the existing SeasonPass jailbreak also be conflicting with Greenpois0n and giving these weird unsupported video modes?

I'm unable to return the unit to Apple as when it's standard everything works fine, it's only when using either jailbreaking option that it's not right. Could there be files remaining on the flash memory even after restoring via DFU?

Thanks for your time and apologies for the long topic, I just wanted to try and include all relevant information so I wasn't wasting anyones time having to ask me.

Cheers!
known issue with jb, issue has been isolated (finally) and a fix is expected.
My atv2 is useless after the greenpois0n the wifi dies every 5 minutes.
To temporarily resolve, go into NitroTV then settings and select "Restart Lowtide". Since doing this mine has been fine even coming in and out of sleep. When taking the power out you simply need to do that again and it should be okay.
davilla Wrote:known issue with jb, issue has been isolated (finally) and a fix is expected.
Thanks for the quick response but even when a fix is released how can I install it if Wifi/ethernet doesn't work on SeasonPass and greenpois0n doesn't work at all?
Try to do a clean restore again (4.2.1), then run the GP RC6 and should work. My guess is that the JB wasn't successfull
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
MaCMeL
macmel Wrote:Try to do a clean restore again (4.2.1), then run the GP RC6 and should work. My guess is that the JB wasn't successfull
Thanks for the suggestion but as per my original post it hasn't worked. I've literally done it about 15 times or so. Even tried different computers.
Just wanted to clarify what you mean by this,
"Could the existing SeasonPass jailbreak also be conflicting with Greenpois0n and giving these weird unsupported video modes?"

Can you list what steps are you doing when you do the JB if it's not too much to ask?
MaCMeL
macmel Wrote:Just wanted to clarify what you mean by this,
"Could the existing SeasonPass jailbreak also be conflicting with Greenpois0n and giving these weird unsupported video modes?"

Can you list what steps are you doing when you do the JB if it's not too much to ask?
For SeasonPass I plug the ATV into my Mac with no other cables attached to the ATV. I hold option and pick create IPSW and manually pick the file "AppleTV2,1_4.2_8C150_Restore.ipsw". I then hold down menu+down for 6 seconds on the remote to reboot and then menu and play for 7 seconds to enter DFU mode. SeasonPass detects DFU mode and then executes the iTunes script to flash the ATV using the patched IPSW. Once complete I use SeasonPass to boot tethered which does boot, the problem is no wifi and no ethernet.

For GreenPois0n I plug ATV into my Mac, open iTunes. I do the same remote combination to enter DFU mode and I hold option+click restore and select AppleTV2,1_4.2_8C150_Restore.ipsw manually. This finishes and i reboot to confirm it works, which is does including wireless and ethernet. I then open up greenpois0n and do the same remote combination to enter into DFU mode. greenpois0n finishes and states it's successful, I wait for 5 minutes to confirm everything has been written. I connect ATV to my tv and the video doesn't work, TV states it's an unsupported video mode being sent through hdmi1.

What I meant by that that line you posted is that it's as if something from the jailbreak is still left behind and that not all of the 8gb flash drive is being erased when in dfu mode and reloading the IPSW. I wish I could just erase all 8GB and start fresh as this would have to work. Something's on there which is stopping both jailbreak solutions from working.
Ok, I understand now. And I know what your problem is, you are using the wrong version of the Apple TV2 Firmware. You should use the below firmware. Hope this help Big Grin

AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw

BTW; Just do the greenpois0n JB, there's no need to run Seasonpass
MaCMeL
macmel Wrote:Ok, I understand now. And I know what your problem is, you are using the wrong version of the Apple TV2 Firmware. You should use the below firmware. Hope this help Big Grin

AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw

BTW; Just do the greenpois0n JB, there's no need to run Seasonpass
On dear god, YOU'RE RIGHT! SeasonPass is what downloaded the other version so I just kept that as the IPSW to use.

Thank you so much for persisting and asking all your questions. I'm installing xbmc again as we speak.

Thank you again!
did it work?

I did I clean restore before use greenpoison and my wifi is like crap now!
This is a known problem and a fix should be out soon? so I've heard.

Easy p.i.t.a trick is to restart lowtide as mentioned before.
pokwer Wrote:On dear god, YOU'RE RIGHT! SeasonPass is what downloaded the other version so I just kept that as the IPSW to use.

Thank you so much for persisting and asking all your questions. I'm installing xbmc again as we speak.

Thank you again!

Hi pokwer, glad it worked out Big Grin

For others with wifi issues, if you're willing to restore. Try the freshly release pwnage tool which incorporate the wifi fix and the jb (mac only though).
MaCMeL
I just posted an article on how to fix the wifi issue on a jailbroken Apple TV on my blog tonight. The restarting of Low Tide in the nitoTV settings will at least get your wifi reconnected, then you can re-install nitoTV via SSH using the instructions in my blog post so the wifi will reconnect even if you restart the device using other methods than via the nitoTV settings menu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Wireless no longer works and neither does cat50