Poofyhairguy's HTPC Recommendation Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Votes - 3.85 Average
RyRy Offline
Hey,

Not sure where to post this but, my computer in my room is never turned off and has a few folders shared allowing anyone on the network to access 1TB+ of movies and 500GB+ of tv shows.

TV1:
1x USB 5v 1A (Not used)
1x USB 5v 0.5A (Not used)
3x HDMI (Two are being used for Sky and for connecting tablets/phones...etc, one is spare)
1x LAN (Unused, No ethernet cable near the TV)
1x Service (Unused)
1x Component / AV In (Used for the Wii)
1x Scart (Unused)
1x DVI 3.5" Audio In (Used sometimes for headphone use)
1x Optical Audio Out (Unused)

TV2:
1x VGA
1x RCA Audio In (Left and Right Unused)
2x HDMI (One being used)
1x Component / AV In (Unused)
2x Scart (One used for Wii, one is spare)

I was looking at getting two android dongles to plug into the TV's but unsure if this would suffice, obviously on the second TV I would think the best option(s) are HDMI or VGA routes.

What would be the cheapest but best way for me, considering all the media would be streamed via wireless?
find quote
Wintersdark Offline
(2014-03-06 10:23)schumi2004 Wrote:  
(2014-01-26 18:57)poofyhairguy Wrote:  
(2013-11-01 16:24)husky55 Wrote:  It would be nice if this sticky is updated to today's hardware!!!!

Agreed my OP is out of date. Some of the advice is OK (I STILL think ssds are the way to go) but the hardware isn't.

I would love some recommendations for an update.
Include a fan-less section?

Planing to replace my existing setup with a fan-less one but totally have no clue where to start Wink
I'm definitely interested in an updated hardware list particularly including a fanless setup section. My old HTPC was built off these guides back in late 2011, and I'm looking to replace it with a fanless system (and use the core of the current HTPC as an UnRAID server while I'm at it).
find quote
CorbinB Offline
So I'm currently furnishing my house and have two TVs that I want to hook up to my hard drives. I always though I'd buy two Apple TV 2s and jailbreak them but they're now just too expensive for me to stomach. Plus my rural internet is capped at 10GB per month so I can't take advantage of the free streaming that makes them so expensive. I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can help me out because there's a bunch of options out there and it's a bit overwhelming. This is what I'm trying to do:

- stream locally from my hard drives (run by a MacMini) to my TVs
- play a wide range of file types (.mkv, etc.)
- play my videos through XBMC
- use iOS devices as a remote, but that's not a deal-breaker if there's a 3rd party or dedicated remote I could buy
- most of my content isn't 1080p
- I don't want to do a ton of modifying or difficult shit to get this working (but I'll do some).

There's ouya, firetv, little black box, pivos xios, gbox mx2, raspberry pi, chromecast, wd tv live, minix, roku and others I'm missing so I don't even know where to start.

Can anyone at least narrow down the ones I should be looking at based on the list of what I'm trying to do from above? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
find quote
flymods Offline
I have a few Raspberri Pi's running the latest openelec and they run really well! I can stream full 1080p 120hz without issue or stuttering. One thing that helps with the R Pi's is to overclock them (naively supported by modifying the local config file on the SD card) and having a mysql instance set up so you can sync the library with all your XBMC devices. If you have mysql set up then every XBMC in your house will have the exact same library and you can play pause resume in different rooms.
find quote
XBMCRules Offline
(2014-01-26 18:57)poofyhairguy Wrote:  
(2013-11-01 16:24)husky55 Wrote:  It would be nice if this sticky is updated to today's hardware!!!!

Agreed my OP is out of date. Some of the advice is OK (I STILL think ssds are the way to go) but the hardware isn't.

I would love some recommendations for an update.

See here

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_htpc
find quote