• 6(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
Yes Poofy is around but really busy....
dont take it personal...
Smile
eskro Wrote:Yes Poofy is around but really busy....
dont take it personal...
Smile
Gotcha.
Does USB3 sustains higher transfer?
Respect for all and especially for poofy.
Hough!
Juno Wrote:Does USB3 sustains higher transfer?

I think so, even though I haven't gotten to test it myself (no USB3 external). I know Firewire 400 can do it, so I figure USB3 can.

Great thread, you guys are a really great community.

I'm trying to set up an HTPC for my living room, it has to be girlfriend-friendly. I was hoping to do a pre-built computer because I'm honestly too lazy to build one myself (not that I couldn't). It looks like I'd be a group 2 user, and someone mentioned the Zotac ND01 (http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0332179).

I was just wondering if the support for Wifi is there, and how hooking up an external hard drive would perform. I saw the ND01 only has USB2.0, but I have a 3.0 external hard drive, so are there any prebuilt systems out there that support this? Or is 2.0 fast enough?

Thanks !
seanch87 Wrote:I was just wondering if the support for Wifi is there

Streaming over wifi is VERY hard to get working. Like not worth it hard.

Quote: and how hooking up an external hard drive would perform. I saw the ND01 only has USB2.0, but I have a 3.0 external hard drive, so are there any prebuilt systems out there that support this? Or is 2.0 fast enough?

2.0 is fast enough for any file under 15gb.

I have Zotac MAG.
And everythiong is OK as far as U dont use Linux (according to WIFi only). Linux drivers for this atheros are weak (but of course Linux is the only reasonable choice for such platform).
And transfer is low. As i read its about power supply for this wifi card.
So its better to use USB WiFi or replace miniPCIe for any Intel from 1000 to 6xxx.

I Had USB drive and it was OK. Everything worked fine and smooth.
For simplicity use Openelec.
http://openelec.tv/

Hough!
poofyhairguy Wrote:2.0 is fast enough for any file under 15gb.

2.0 isn't fast enough for what?

I've never seen 2.0 have any problem with any file including 35-40GB full blu-ray rips.
T800 Wrote:2.0 isn't fast enough for what?

I've never seen 2.0 have any problem with any file including 35-40GB full blu-ray rips.

he said is fast enough... a little jumpy are we? Rolleyes
bmcclure937 Wrote:he said is fast enough... a little jumpy are we? Rolleyes

A little Big Grin

It does come across like something changes after 15GB though.

Shouldn't it be 2.0 is fast enough for any media a group 2 user would want to play?
Btw, LVM gives you the features of Unraid but is free and doesn't suffer the performance issues you mention.
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
gnif Wrote:Btw, LVM gives you the features of Unraid but is free and doesn't suffer the performance issues you mention.

But it doesn't let me mix and match drives easily- my favorite trick of Unraid.

Unraid means I never copy from one raid array to another to grow. I just keep the same array, and upgrade its space one disk at a time. No other live parity system offers that.

poofyhairguy Wrote:But it doesn't let me mix and match drives easily- my favorite trick of Unraid.

Unraid means I never copy from one raid array to another to grow. I just keep the same array, and upgrade its space one disk at a time. No other live parity system offers that.
One word - Drobo
Choque Wrote:One word - Drobo

You are right. I am sorry, I frequently forget about Drobo. I guess that has to do with a 16 bay version being $1500 before drives:

http://www.drobostore.com/store/drobo/en....121902100

poofyhairguy Wrote:You are right. I am sorry, I frequently forget about Drobo. I guess that has to do with a 16 bay version being $1500 before drives:

http://www.drobostore.com/store/drobo/en....121902100

Yep, you can easily build an expandable UNRAID array for around the same cost (including 12 or so 2tb disks, depending on hardware choice).
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26