• 11(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
Superorb Wrote:What about the built in GPU of the new i3 CPUs, will we be fine with using that or will we need a discreet video card?

I can never recommend Intel GPUs. Technically the sheer CPU power of an i3 means that it can power through anything, but the terrible Intel GPU drivers means that pretty basic stuff (like 24p support for one) is usually hit or miss. I would rather recommend something AMD.

If Linux is your goal its Nvidia or nothing.

poofyhairguy Wrote:If Linux is your goal its Nvidia or nothing.

I was afraid you'd say that. I'm after a low power HTPC box that will also be able to play N64 ROMs and other console games. The lower power the better. I was going to use a PicoPSU and a small box for whichever I end up going with.
poofyhairguy Wrote:If Linux is your goal its Nvidia or nothing.

What about the PPA builds from GIT or the PVR-enabled builds, with VAAPI enabled? Would you still not recommend ATI cards for Linux (which is a MUST for me) despite those?

I'd love to be able to use this rig (I guess in your 2.0 section) but the ATI 5430 card is holding me back...
Thanks for this great list. About the Apple TV2 you write:

Quote:AppleTV2
Its advantage is that its the cheapest XBMC player available and it has easy access to streaming services that aren't easy to access with XBMC, its disadvantages are lack of full 1080p support and the fact that you must have network storage.

Does the Apple TV2 really make a perfect XBMC player? The reason why I ask is this: Apple will most likely put out an update to the TV2 this September. If they bump up the specs of the TV3 to something that supports 1080p... that would make that thing a pretty sweet deal.

I'm quite partial to Apple styling and wouldn't mind waiting for them to put out the perfect XBMC player.

You agree with this?
phatgeek Wrote:Thanks for this great list. About the Apple TV2 you write:

Does the Apple TV2 really make a perfect XBMC player? The reason why I ask is this: Apple will most likely put out an update to the TV2 this September. If they bump up the specs of the TV3 to something that supports 1080p... that would make that thing a pretty sweet deal.

I'm quite partial to Apple styling and wouldn't mind waiting for them to put out the perfect XBMC player.

You agree with this?
All it can be used for is streaming though, it can't be used to do anything else that's more CPU intensive. For example, you can't play games or any of the SAB/Couch, etc addons.

For many it would be perfect if they could get it to output 1080p, myself included. I have a server to do all those other addons and I don't play games.
I can't decide whether to go Zotac Zbox HD-ND22 or Shuttle XS35GTV2 and "build" the rest myself or simply buy the ASRock ION 3D 152D. They would all end up at about the same price.

Is the Zotac to be prefered in this case because it's SU2300 instead of atom? Isn't it more hassle installing live on it? Xbmcfreak always post that you get best results using their LiveCD with Nvidia ION systems (I want live because I wan't it too boot straight in to XBMC). Also, if I won't have problems with 1080p playback with any of these devices and get the same audio quality, maybe the ASRock is the simplest way to go, then I for instance won't have to look for a IR receiver. Oh, or does these devices/mobos support Wake-on-LAN? (because then I won't need the receiver, will control XBMC through wlan anyways) Any comment or help appreciated! Smile

Thanks in advance
Zotac Zbox HD-ND22 has Nvidia Ion video Chipset...
eskro Wrote:Zotac Zbox HD-ND22 has Nvidia Ion video Chipset...

I ment the cpu, it's better in the ND22 than the atom ones, if I'm not mistaken?

edit: guess you ment what they were referring to on xbmcfreak, alright, got it
reta Wrote:I ment the cpu, it's better in the ND22 than the atom ones, if I'm not mistaken?

correct, cpu is way stronger in the ND22
Question 
great guide. i was nanometers away from buying the asrock ion 3d, just had to check the release date to see how old it was and if there was time for a newer model soon. saw some comments and had to search for more info.

i see my self in the low group 3.
what i need is: small form factor in solid black finish, play 1080p with xbmc, dualboot ubuntu and win7 <--- ion works fine
what i wish for is: audio bitstream, tv streaming like sopcast, <--- ion still fails on this?
what i don't need, but can be in the bundle: dvd or bluray drive, 3d support

questions i have is:
what i understand is a problem for the intel gpu is the 23.976 Hz issue. do the asrock coreht with sandy bridge have same issues?
the specs for asrock ion 3d states "7.1 CH HD Audio with DTS". what about dolby soundtracks?

i could build my own htpc but want the box to be small as the asrock.

can someone help me with this?
Currently addicted to Night. Watch this teaser and join the forum.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs from the ClearLOGO site and forum
Try my changes to the Night skin if u like how they looks
hi zwat, i think you'd be best serve if you create a new thread completely!

i'll help u there!
Poofy, please advise:

Upgrading and old Dell SFF gx620 for my parents to use as an htpc with XBMC/7MC.

System willl be:

Pentium IV 3.0 ghz
Sparkle GeForce 8400 GS, 512MB DDR2, VGA, DVI, TV-out (You recommend)
Acer m780 (Dual Tuner for 7MC)
2 GB Ram (Could bump up to 4)
WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
DVD Drive

Would appreciate your opinion:

Obviously the processor is weak, but I think it should be OK for XBMC/7MC. Unfortunately the motherboard only supports Pentium and Celeron chips.

Computer is pretty cramped due to SFF but has an open IDE slot. Should I install a disk on here for the operating system to run on? Could I get away with running it off the 1.5TB drive?
nchall Wrote:Poofy, please advise:

Upgrading and old Dell SFF gx620 for my parents to use as an htpc with XBMC/7MC.

System willl be:

Pentium IV 3.0 ghz
Sparkle GeForce 8400 GS, 512MB DDR2, VGA, DVI, TV-out (You recommend)
Acer m780 (Dual Tuner for 7MC)
2 GB Ram (Could bump up to 4)
WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
DVD Drive

Would appreciate your opinion:

Obviously the processor is weak, but I think it should be OK for XBMC/7MC. Unfortunately the motherboard only supports Pentium and Celeron chips.

Computer is pretty cramped due to SFF but has an open IDE slot. Should I install a disk on here for the operating system to run on? Could I get away with running it off the 1.5TB drive?
You'll be fine for XBMC Live, but I don't know about 7MC. I'm using a Pentium 3 with an 8400GS 512MB RAM and it works great.
i think win7 would run ok,,,
Should I put the OS on an old 2.5 laptop IDE drive, or would it be ok to have it on the same drive as media/recordings? Keep in mind this computer is just a glorified settop box--it won't be used for anything other than media playback.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26