• 13(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
CpTHOOK Wrote:Okay...

Now that I've built my unRAID and have TX'd all my files to array will I still need a dedicated Back-Up option either on my unRAID or on a separate machine? What do most unRAID folks do when it comes to backing up data?
Probably best to ask this on the unRAID forums and not in an HTPC build thread Wink
Superorb Wrote:Probably best to ask this on the unRAID forums and not in an HTPC build thread Wink

Will do!
I have been a long time XBMC user on the box (have one on all 4 TV's) and I have dabbled with XBMC on OSX, Win, and Linux. But I have never built a dedicated HTPC to replace the original Xbox(s).
What would you recommend for me? I don’t have any Blue Ray disks yet so it would mainly be to replace the Xbox and enjoy all the features of the XBMC interface.
Thanks in advance.
robla64 Wrote:I have been a long time XBMC user on the box (have one on all 4 TV's) and I have dabbled with XBMC on OSX, Win, and Linux. But I have never built a dedicated HTPC to replace the original Xbox(s).
What would you recommend for me? I don’t have any Blue Ray disks yet so it would mainly be to replace the Xbox and enjoy all the features of the XBMC interface.
Thanks in advance.
probably this setup will do-

1. Apex MI-100 4BAY Desktop Blk/Silver 250W ATX12V Mitx
2. Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz
3. ASRock H67M-ITX HDMI USB 3.0 mobo
4. Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive
5. SAPPHIRE 100322L Radeon HD 6450 1GB
6. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
7. Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks BulRay, I appreciate all the work. I didn't total it all up exactly, but that seems within my range given the specs and all.
With the 32G solid state drive would I just do a Linux setup? I happen to have an extra licence of Win 7 Pro that I bought on sale and have never used.
robla64 Wrote:Thanks BulRay, I appreciate all the work. I didn't total it all up exactly, but that seems within my range given the specs and all.
With the 32G solid state drive would I just do a Linux setup? I happen to have an extra licence of Win 7 Pro that I bought on sale and have never used.
32G is plenty for w7 64-bit. i use nothing on all my htpc's other than w7, and there is nothing easier than w7!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:32G is plenty for w7 64-bit

+1, thats what i use and dont have problems at all
any thoughts on Hitachi's coolspin HDDs?
shateredsoul Wrote:any thoughts on Hitachi's coolspin HDDs?
I have two 2TB ones in my server and they have been great for months. They are the best drive right now for storage.
thanks for the reply! Now I just have to wait for the 3tb drives to come back down to about $100
shateredsoul Wrote:... Now I just have to wait for the 3tb drives to come back down to about $100

That's going to take a long time, I'm afraid. Did you see this thread?
Yeah, don't you think they're will be a chance for black friday? I swear a few days ago when I was looking at my htpc setup I found a hitachi 3tb for a little over a hunder, now it's way up .. so my experience fits with that thread Sad

Another question, I appreciate the info about the normal hdds, but what about solid state drives. I keep hearing conflicting reviews and this and that. People take sides, and bash the other side for no reason so it's hard to tell which reviews are fair. So far I've heard that Crucial Memory SSDs are really good, but it doesn't seem like they ever have sales or discounts.
Awesome thread, book marked for reference Smile
Is this thread ok to post a proposed build in to ask for advice ?

Is a very good post tho and is helpful for me right from the start.
not really, please create your own thread
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26